Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal - I'm hoping that it's not shingles!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nick - good luck with your PB attempt today at parkrun.

Cal - hope that doesn't turn into shingles.   I think you can get a jab now against shingles.
    Big_G said:

Shades, you're a bad influence ;)  Fast Friday 10K entered!

;)  You'd be annoyed if you missed the chance.

Nice hilly run you did, I too will stop at the top and admire the view, especially if it's towards the moors.

Jugula - good advice there not to ignore niggles.   You're certainly upping your training mileage, I keep expecting a surprise marathon entry announcement from you ;) 

Steven - hope you find a nice hilly race to do.

Just waiting for 7 a.m. Pilates booking frenzy before going out for my run, think I'll do a hilly run today too.   
    As I don't bother using Garmin Connect I was using mapometer.com  to measure the elevation on some of my routes but recently the figures seemed to be very high.   I looked at a run in my training diary  I did last year and the elevation was 585 ft., this year measured on the same website shows 974 ft. There's no way the climb is anything like 974, so there's something definitely going on with these calculations.   

Ian said he got a crazy result from Strava on the GC route too.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades - how do feel your training is going?  Seems you've been running most days?  Do you have a HADD test planned soonish?  Yeah, the elevations are way out sometimes - do you remember I looked into Liverpool marathon on Strava and people's elevations varied wildly.  It's odd as when I checked London a few months ago most seemed to be broadly similar.

I did a 10-miler today, including parkrun.  I timed it a bit wrong and got to parkrun a couple of minutes late but I had a good run.  The parkrun part ended up being sort of a progressive run from around approx 8s down to around 7s, but the rest was around 10s.  It was raining for the whole 10-miles but I had an enjoyable run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - touch wood, training seems to be going well.  I've only had one day off so far in January and that was due to ice and I couldn't be bothered to go out later when it had thawed.   I don't really need any days off when I'm base training, mileage is increasing gradually, this week I should finish on 70 miles and planned total for January is 279 and I should hit that if I don't take another day off.

I will probably do a Hadd test early March before my first races of the year, I've just entered Granite Way 20 and the week after that I have Wrexham marathon.

I had a lovely run this morning, just over 8 miles but my hilly route gives me 2 long downhill sections which I think is good DD training as they're not too steep to run but steep enough to work on strengthening the quads, I had rain too but not too much and I didn't notice I was wet until I got home.   I'm giving up on trying to measure the elevations now.

Not like you to mistime your arrival at parkrun, I suppose you want to get there as late as possible so you're not standing around in the cold.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Shades, yeah, what I usually do is run about 1.5 miles to parkrun, do the event, and then run 1.5 miles back.  But this time I ran 5.5 miles to the start of parkrun and just got it a bit wrong timing wise.  It's no issue as I wasn't racing the event anyway so I'm not bothered about what my official time will be.  But yes, it was nice not hanging around in some ways as I got to the event and didn't break stride; I just carried on running and caught the tail run/walker up within a minute or so.

Good news you're pleased with your training so far.  70 miles is good mileage.  If I run tomorrow I think I should get around 60 for the week, but I haven't decided yet.

I have only done one 20-mile race and that was Granite Way.  You may remember that was back in 2015 when I felt I was running really well.  I did 2:35 at that race, which I was delighted with, but I had to pull out of Brussels due to a chest infection so didn't convert into a decent marathon time.  I still don't feel I've quite reached that fitness yet, which is quite annoying, although I suppose my marathon PB is pretty similar now.  I just checked and I got through 20-miles at Nottingham in 2:40.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - timing 5.5 miles is a lot harder than 1.5 miles.

You've done well to get your weekly mileage back up after your illness and your marathon.

Yes, I remember you did Granite Way 20 and did a good time there.   I only saw it being advertised by chance, I think it's a week earlier than last year, and as I'm not doing any long runs in my training except for a 20 I'd planned that day I thought I might as well do it in a race.

But the difference is that now you have converted that speed into a very good marathon PB, several in fact :D
  • Options
    I feel somewhat better today. I did feel tired and run-down yesterday so I think resting was the best move. The rash hasn't got better or worse but it doesn't hurt or tingle so I decided against starting the aciclovir as the side effects can be as draining as the illness.
    Anyway, I felt well enough to go to the running workshop, which involved a lot of drills and running backwards and forwards trying to use proper form. I know I'm a terrible shuffler and retraining myself to run properly isn't something that will happen at all quickly, but it was good to do (and didn't cost me anything).
    At this point I will probably run tomorrow, but how far depends on how I feel.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's good news about the rash, hopefully it will just go away in it's own time with no other symptoms.

Lovely morning here, 12 degrees and the sun is out, but good running weather, had a nice run.   Must have met at least 100 cyclists today (not all in one group) and just a couple of runners.
  • Options
    11 degrees here - grey but there were little patches of blue later on. At least it wasn't sleet like last weekend!
    Anyway, I did 17 miles but it felt very different to last week. I felt fresher so I started a little quicker (still easy pace, just not tired donkey pace like last weekend) but I got progressively more tired during the last few miles. It was general fatigue - breathing was becoming harder even at an underwhelming pace, which is something I remember from long runs I've done in the past. I suspect the temperature made a difference. It was 2 degrees last weekend, versus 11 this, so I probably sweated a lot more and got a bit dehydrated. I know last week I didn't finish my water (I have one of those belts with two little bottles) whereas I'd gone through both by 15 miles this time.
    I think it's also time to put gels back in the mix. I don't eat brekky as you know, but I'm getting to the point where I think I need them. Today's run was a little over three hours so,  yeah, it's probably time.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly organised a Trotters social run, so I went along to that this morning, and it ended up being 13 miles.  Plenty of looping back, some decent hills chucked in, and it was a nice run out.  That takes me to 64 miles for the week, which is my biggest weekly training mileage (not including some weeks where I've done a marathon or two).  It won't be as high next week as I'm probably going to take a day or two off, plus I'm doing a local 5-mile race next Sunday, so it'll be reduced mileage that day.
  • Options
    Woke up from my night shift about 1030 today and conditions outside was very windy and constant rain thought about giving my run a miss but decided to go out and complete 16miles my longest run for quite a few months. Don't know if it's a mixture of tiredness and the strong winds and rain but I struggled with my breathing today just couldn't get it under control maybe just one of those days. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a good week's mileage.  Of course now that you're doing all these marathons you have to get these good training weeks in when you can.

I take it you're doing the Fulford 5 next weekend.

steven- strong winds can make the easiest run a real challenge and you can't have had much sleep either.   Shift work can affect training as your body clock is all over the place.

Good weather this morning, 10 degrees, a little light drizzle as I finished my run.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah it's Fulfords 5 I'm doing.  It's not a Club Champs race, but it is a good event so thought I'd give it a go.  Back in July I didn't have any marathons and I did some decent mileage that month, which I think may have been the springboard onto some of my times later in the year.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I just checked and back in 2016 when I last did Fulfords 5 I did it in 35:10 - that got me my one and only prize to date, which was a team prize.  That time seems unlikely this year, but I suppose you never know!
  • Options
    Cal - Hope it's nothing serious.
    Big G / Shades - Impressive weekly mileage from you both!

Progression long run on Saturday for me. 17 miles in total, but decided to finish at Parkrun in the hope that running with others would help me maintain/hit pace. First 8 miles averaged 8:26s then next 6 averaged 7:22s and Parkrun was a disappointing 21:05 for a 6:48 average. Recovery 5 miler on Sunday to finish off a 54 mile week and my 3rd week in a row at 50+ miles. Anyway the Parkrun didn't really work out as planned, as I probably could have run that pace solo anyway!
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Cal - glad you're feeling better, 17 miles is a good solid long run at this stage.

steven - I've sometimes found in really strong winds my breathing can become a problem even if I'm not really struggling otherwise. So I would guess that. Well done for getting out there.

Big G - good 13 miler

So I made it to parkrun on Saturday. Started near the front, and set off at a decent effort that I hoped I could sustain. The start is a straight slight downhill for half a mile before a sharp turn, and it quickly settled down with 1 guy about 10m clear, then a group of about 4 or 5, then another similar group about another 10m back. I was in this third group, then they seemed to slow slightly and I eased away and got onto the back of the 2nd group. Sat in the group until the turn, then it goes slightly uphill and they seemed to slow a fair bit so I eased off the front. At about 0.8 miles you pass the finish with 2 full laps to go (first lap is shorter), I had half an idea at this point to see if I could go with the leader but sensibly decided the gap was too big already. Not sure how accurate they are now as I know the start and finish have moved slightly over time, but I was past the 1 mile marker in 6:10 and the 2km marker in 7:40 which are 19:10 pace - my PB is 19:09 so was thinking if I can just hold this pace then I'll get a PB with a sprint finish. Unfortunately I couldn't and gradually slowed. After getting into 2nd I ran a whole lap solo, then 2 people came past me around the finish line with a lap to go. I couldn't go with them, but hung on as best I could. By the time I got near the end I upped the pace a bit to make sure I got under 20 but was too far behind to catch 3rd and noone was in range of me behind. Ended up with 19:48 for 4th place. Mile splits on Strava (measured 3.06 total) of 6:14, 6:39, 6:36. So 40 secs off a PB, but it's still my 3rd best time ever and best placing ever. So I was pretty happy with the run.

Sunday got out for a buggy run, my wife came for the first bit and we jog/walked 2.5 miles, then I ran a further 4.5 miles (basically just kept going until my daughter woke up haha), so total 7 miles in 1 hr 18. All easy effort, my fastest mile was still over 10 mins. It was warm but quite windy, towards the end I was worried my daughter might be getting cold so stopped to check and she woke up - doh! 27 miles for the week which is decent for me.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Very impressive mileage from both of you.
    Steve-Thats a good time at the end if such a long run.
    Nick-Unlucky on the PB attempt but you're still relatively low on miles compared to when you Pb'd i'd imagine.
    Grand total of 5.5 miles for me last week,tough few days with the achilles playing up so need to keep patient,feels a bit better today so may get some in later but picking up my new car so maybe not.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - new car, lovely.  That should distract you slightly from your injury.

Nick - very good attempt at your PB at parkrun and a good placing.   I would guess with a 5km it can take a few attempts to get the time that you want, a few more weeks training should have you where you need to be for another attempt.

Big G - fingers crossed you might be up for another team prize, I know the race is popular and very competitive amongst club runners.

Steve - that's a tough progression run and I'd guess it's not so much fun to run at parkrun when they all have fresh legs and you don't, great attempt though.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think the year I got that prize the race was a Club Champs race so there were lots of Trotters there, which I suppose helped.  This year I'd imagine there will be less Trotters.

Nick, a good effort there.

Steve, also a great run by you.  When I saw it on Strava I was impressed, anyway!

Ian, enjoy the new car :)  
  • Options
    Nick/Steve- good running from you both at the weekend.

Due to my issues on my run yesterday my legs felt terrible at work last night so I thought I would go out and do a 4.5 mile recovery run today which went a lot better.

I have been running in Saucony Omni 15''s and Saucony Guide 10''s recently and have started to get problems with my feet/toes so am going into Glasgow tomorrow and get a pair of Brooks as I know I don't have any issues with Brooks running shoes.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - I hope you get some shoes that resolves the problem with your feet/toes.   

I love my Guides but I've gone up a half size as at times I felt I needed a bit more room in the toe box.    I like Brook shoes, the shape of their last suits me and still do a lot of my training in my Adrenalines and have run most of my marathons in them too.

Heavy frost here today but most of the pavements/roads are fine for running.   I patched up my first pair of Guides that I damaged at Loch Ness with foam and Kinesio tape and can do short runs in them as long as it doesn't rain, then my patch up falls to bits.   Ran in them today and they were quite good on the slippery bits of frost. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Steve-I am half size bigger in my guides also.
    Wife wants some new running shoes so taking her the shop today to see what suits her.
    No running again yesterday but a great day,got my new car but earlier I got offered a different shop to run,now means instead of a 50/60 min drive each way I've got a 15 min drive  :) should mean more running time when I'm back.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I tend to use Asics, but different models.  In one model that I usually use for training, I actually have one pair that is half a size bigger than the rest but both sizes work okay for me.  I noticed that if my feet are hurting from running for whatever reason, the larger size seem to work fine and enable me to run more comfortably - I tried them on and they felt okay, so I risked it.  That pair have done over 600 miles now so may be time to replace them!

Steven, good news the run went better.

Ian, also great news that your new store is closer.  Getting on for 90mins per day saved in commuting is significant.  Does it bring a possible run-commute into consideration?  It's been all change for you work-wise what with the recent promotion and new shop!

I was umming and ahhing about doing the Trotters social run last night (6-miles) but in the end I did just 4-miles on my own, at a very stead pace.  I think it may be a total rest day today from running, although I will do a walk later - legs are just feeling tired, but at the end of last week I did 7, 9, 16, 10 and 13 on consecutive days.  With yesterday's 4-miles that's 6 days in a row so probably a rest day won't do me any harm.
  • Options
    Lovely morning for a run but I am taking a second rest day. My right calf has been tight and sore since last week and remains so. Thus far I've been able to run on it (it got me through Sunday's 17) but I don't want to risk a tear or that's 6 weeks out and I can kiss my races goodbye. I think I may pay my physio a visit.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I’m normally ASICS nimbus what ever number as seem to change every 6 months but most recent pair are Ride 10’s and seem to have more room in toe box. So might be my new trainer if choice. 
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Steven - glad the recovery run went well

Shades - good job on the shoe repair!

Ian - that's great news about your job, I'm sure you will appreciate the extra time in bed every morning as well as the extra time to run in the evening.

Big G/Cal - rest day sounds like a good idea.

I've always used Asics GT 1000s. I have two pairs of the 4s - one I keep at work and use if I go for a run at lunchtime (only 30 min easy runs), one pair of 5s, and a pair of 6s that I got for xmas which I now do most of my running in. I've also got some Inov8 trail shoes that I've only worn a handful of times for XC races. My older shoes have all done 500+ miles but feel fine at least for short runs and I don't like throwing away things that aren't broken haha. Might ditch the 5s at some point as they are less comfy. But more likely will chuck them in the shed for when one of the other pairs give up.
  • Options
    I just ordered some Zoom Flys which have a much bigger drop than my Frees (10mm vs 4mm) so if I start alternating, it should give my calves a bit of a break. I hope I like them...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ian - that's great news about a shorter commute to work and once you're back to full training you'll really appreciate it too.    Glad you're pleased with your new car too. 

It might be an expensive day taking your wife to a running shop, but well worth it of course. :)  

Big G - I've always found Asics good high mileage shoes too.   You might find the half size bigger pairs good for warmer marathons when feet are likely to swell a bit more than usual during a race.   

I've only got one pair of Asics now and they are Innovates which doesn't seem to be a very popular shoe in this country, I just picked them up cheap and they're one of my favourite training shoes.

Cal - sensible decision re that niggly calf.

Pilates instructor is ill again, so we doubled up with the other class.  It was really good, this instructor is an ex-Army physical fitness instructor so there's no hiding but she is really good and it's a rewarding class if you work hard at it.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I wore the bigger size for Palma Marathon in 2016 for the reason you mentioned. There's an event I won't be doing again!
  • Options
    Ian - Good news on your commute!

Yeah Asics fan here too. I normally get 700 miles out of a pair before they are binned, which I did with my last pair on Sunday after my recovery run. Got a pair from Asics clearance website this time.

10 miles with strides this morning to take me past 200 miles for the month. 13 miles planned for tomorrow.