Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - these things happen but if you don't run then don't worry about it, just let it go.

Steve - longest run I'm doing, since September, is 10ish miles.   I have done a few marathons though but not that many.
    I want to focus on working hard on my glute exercises, but when I do glute work I also work the quads and hamstrings and calves and I don't think I could do any long runs while I'm doing that.   But my running is going well, training pace improving and I expect a further improvement when I start the doubles.   However, how that translates to race results, we will see. :/
  • Options

Shades, well done for doing a decent session at the gym yesterday, when my classes get cancelled I usually just go home or do about 5 mins and leave as not mentally prepared.

Apex running is great for international and I really like it for Ultras too.  However there was a LDWA 25.8 mile on the marathon list which wouldn't count for 100MC.

Steve top work on the long runs, I struggle with the 22 miles in my plan, think it's a mental thing as the 1st time I did one I flaked at about 19 miles.  Think I've only done 21 miles max because of it.

Ian, that half time does seem generous for NYC how far away is she from that time?

Welsh poppy - I try not to pay high entry fees when I can too, I've volunteered at races that give you credits.

Cal I really enjoyed Westminster mile last year, very easy, flat and over before you know it, only done the mile twice and worst race ever when you're going full out.

Cozy, although we moan about our race entry fees, we seem to have the some of the better value, London is £38ish I'm assuming it's heavily subbed by people who pay the donation.

Ultrasound scan on stomach was all clear, doc has given me some acid tablets as think I've got some kind of indigestion which affects my breathing.  6 miles this morning, longest run post fall and felt good after I warmed up, limited on time would have felt comfortable to push a little longer as well, average pace was better than Tuesdays run.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-There is just one big ballot,whether they prioritise Anericans I dont know but don't think they do.
    Cozy-It is the dearest of the majors,but I loved every minute of it.
    Steve-Have a couple of targets I'm flirting between,hoping for a good race saturday to give me a better idea,but the wind is looking rough at the minute.
    Rob-Well done on the 6,it will be a gradual build up but great when you get long runs in again.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Rob-Missed your question,she is 4 mins away but with all her running lately I think she will be close this year,unfortunately she has come down with a bad cold so may not be able to race Saturday.
    10 miles after work brings up 245 for the month,going to have a rest day tomorrow before the half.Looks like I'm going to average 48 miles in the 12 weeks in this cycle,previous best was 43 so 10% higher,I actually thought it would be higher than that,but I had 3 weeks in December where I only managed 76 miles in total,without those 3 my average would have been 55.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Shades, well done for doing a decent session at the gym yesterday, when my classes get cancelled I usually just go home or do about 5 mins and leave as not mentally prepared.

Apex running is great for international and I really like it for Ultras too.  However there was a LDWA 25.8 mile on the marathon list which wouldn't count for 100MC.

Ultrasound scan on stomach was all clear, doc has given me some acid tablets as think I've got some kind of indigestion which affects my breathing.  6 miles this morning, longest run post fall and felt good after I warmed up, limited on time would have felt comfortable to push a little longer as well, average pace was better than Tuesdays run.

Robert - I had already planned a gym session after circuits anyway and after that food shop, it's the only day I take my car to the leisure centre.   So did an extra 10 minutes in the gym as supermarket didn't open until 8 a.m.  I don't think anyone went home, quite a few have a Pilates class after circuits so some went to row/spin room and did a little, then nattered for the rest of the time and 3 of us went in the gym.   

There are quite a few events called marathons that are not allowable, I think there's a list on 100MC website of disallowable events.   If LDWA just add 0.2 to the distance then they would get runners that are counting their marathons as trail only need to be 26 miles to be allowable.

Good news on the ultrasound being all clear and your longest post fall run.  You are making speedy progress now.

Cozy - of course it's not just the cost of the entry fee, there's the travel and hotel and other expenses too.   But IMHO a very worthwhile way of spending money :) 

Ian - oh that's bad luck that OH has a bad cold.  If it was bad yesterday then no way should she race  tomorrow, too risky and could damage all that valuable marathon training she's done.   Fortunately she started her marathon training early so has plenty of recovery time and hopefully you can find an alternative half marathon for her to do pre Barcelona.

8 miles this morning for me.   Mild weather but very strong headwind in places.   Had to turn back again due to flooding but decided not to do all of my planned 10 miles as my legs are still tired after leg session in the gym on Wednesday.
  • Options

Maybe NYC one for the future then, although I'm not really intending on doing multiple marathons, I'm probably going to focus on getting my swimming in check to attempt some triathlon after Edinburgh.

Done my 5 miles that was in my plan at 8.45pm last night. Who knew that with food and water throughout a day that it'd be easier than rolling out of my bed and running!

Anyway, felt good, wife said to me when I got in that I looked like I'd just been out a walk (I believe this was only in how un knackered I was as a pose to my very wet and windy look, as well as shorts!)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, good news on your run.  You're the on the come-back trail now.

Ian, that's great mileage for you.  Those weeks in December where it was a bit lower were probably when you were very busy at work, so that's great consistency.

I've been looking at a race in France, but a medical certificate is needed.  I've called my GP today and they do that service, but it's for £35 so I'm not sure at the moment.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-That is a great way to finish most of your runs feeling fresh.
    Big G-Thats what has put me off when I've looked at some abroad races,it may be easy but I cant be bothered with the hassle.
    Shades-Looks like wind is here tomorrow,looks 40-50mph most of the day so not looking like a good day to be racing.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cozy - well that shows that you've not yet settled into early morning running.  ;)  But if you do run in the morning you must give yourself time to drink adequate water, we're all dehydrated after a night's sleep and preferably a cup of tea or coffee too.

Big G - that's why we all avoid French races.   Fortunately Italy now will let you sign a disclaimer instead of insisting on a certificate and once they started insisting on ECG's for runners without an EA licence entries must have hit rock bottom from the UK so they had the sense to change their rules.

£35 is very reasonable, some doctors refuse to do them in case they are sued and I've see the usual cost for the service at around £65.   Don't you have any medic friends that can do it for you?   I believe a lot of the regular marathoners forge theirs.   You can buy them on the internet but I'm sure would be dearer than £35.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, it's a pain in the neck!  

Shades, as you say I think some people fake them - I did happen to have a quick look on eBay and you can get a stamp made for £10, but I won't go down that road.  I do have an acquaintance who is a GP, but I'm not sure if he'd do it or if I'd like to ask him.  He's a runner too though.  Annoyingly, the GP doesn't even have to see me; I take in the template from the race website, they'll sign/stamp it, and I'll pick it up in a week, so it doesn't prove anything at all.  The particular race (Annecy Marathon) doesn't need any tests done as far as I can see, but my GP goes up to £65 if other tests are needed, so £35 is basically for the signature/stamp.
  • Options
    Rob, well done on your longest run (post-fall). I've run the mile relays and I agree it's a tricky distance - the thing with me and my short stride is my cadence gets so high during a mile I worry I'm going to fall over. :D

Cozy, NYC is pretty much the most expensive marathon out there but most of the big ones are over a hundred quid. Chicago cost me £188.87and Tokyo was £168.91. (But as Shades said, hotels and flights are the main expense).

Ian, that's good mileage - I've just topped 200 miles for this month. February will be a lot less due to tapering.

Yesterday should have been a MLR but I wasn't feeling good - just a bit run down again. Still not awesome today but I got myself out for a 6 mile recovery run. Tomorrow I'm heading off to Queen Elizabeth parkrun with another Chaser for my Q - it's a bit of a beast - hills and mud - so I expect a slow time. Hopefully I've got enough in the legs (and immune system) for a decent long run on Sunday.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve had my marathon sheet vetted by 100MC, so I’m officially at 75 now - still a long way to go it seems. I had a couple mis-categorised as road when they’re actually trail, but I’m not in any danger of not having enough road anyway so it’s not an issue in terms of numbers.  No firm plans for the 100th yet either. 

I’ve made the ‘pilgrimage’ for Bushy parkrun, so quite looking forward to doing that tomorrow. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - if you're taking a template to your GP for signature take a universal one, then you can use it for more than one race.   Just in case you decide to enter another French race.  Then you can scan and send PDF as proof to several races, should you need it.  There are universal templates on the internet.

I take it you've not gone all the way to London just to do a parkrun 
    :open_mouth:

I classify my races by the surface, Plym Trail I have as road etc. But now the 100MC club have so many wannabes/members that just go to Kent or MK or similar and walk round, they like to be stricter as the minimum number of road marathons needs to be done.  Once you've reached 100 then lists are submitted but no longer verified so you can classify the list as you wish.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, ha ha. It may seem a long way to go for a parkrun, but I’d arranged to see friends last night and seeing them again later this morning.

I’ll have a look for a template. There is one on the Annecy site and their race rules say the template text must include French.  That one looks generic in that it doesn’t specifically mention the race name, but I’ll have a further look. I haven’t decided if I’m doing it yet though. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm pretty sure there's one on some running club sites, try Serpentines.   But if the Annecy one doesn't mention the race name then that will be fine.    Then you could have a 'French' year of marathons to get good value from the certificate ;) 

Ian - good luck today, hope that it's not too windy for you to have a good race.

Only 6 miles for me today, I still have tired legs from the gym.   Nice morning, sharp wind though in places.   Good that it's getting lighter now in the mornings.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades. I’ll check it out when I get home. 

Really enjoyed Bushy today. Not sure how many were there but probably around 1500 - there were more people at the ‘first timers’ briefing than run at many local parkruns.  Being part of 100s of runners stampeding along at the wide start was good fun :)

I’d never thought about this before but as there are two (sometimes 3) finish funnels at Bushy alternately handing out finish tokens in batches of roughly 100 people it seems likely that runners will get a different official time than their actual time. No problem for me at all, but it’ll be interesting to see if there’s a time difference. My watch time was 22:30 so I’ll see what the official result says. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous wind today,app currently shows 43mph,brought me to a walking pace at times,after 5k I knew there was no chance of getting near a PB so I decided to turn it into an easy run as no point rinsing myself this close to seville.
    Finished in 1:34 so in between my frankfurt and berlin pace,but my heart rate until half in both them averaged 154,today it was 147 so as far as I can judge I'm in a good place.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - nothing you can do in conditions like that but at least you know you're in great shape.

Big G - I suppose that's the only way they can process so many finishers.
  • Options
    Big G - usually it works but when I ran it I think they mixed two of the funnels and I got a time about 30 seconds slower. I emailed them and they amended it but my slow time is still on RunBritain. :(
    Queen Elizabeth today was pretty tough - definitely the hilliest I've done (one of the miles had over 70m of climb) but the worst bit was the slippery muddy downhill on the first lap (the first lap is smaller than the second lap) and I had to walk some of that. I got a pretty slow time - over 32 minutes again - third time this year! But I'm not worried - I know I can run fast when I need to, going by my 10K PB and equal HM PB this year.
    However, it is a nice parkrun - scenic, with a great cafe and not over busy. A good chunk of the runners were parkrun tourists going for their "Q".
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I don't worry about RunBritain so it's no issue for me.  As it happens, today's official time was 2secs quicker but that may well be because one faster runner slowed dramatically in the finish funnel so about 10 people (including me) overtook him as we were told to keep moving in the funnel.  It means though that we effectively leap frogged that runner and we all got bumped up a place/time.  Probably another reason I wouldn't really use parkrun as a 5k PB.  None of this is a complaint - I love parkrun.  My official 22:28 time ticked off my "28" off of Stopwatch Bingo though, so I'm now on 55/60 off of 159 parkruns.  Well done on what sounded like a tough run - as you said, don't worry about the time on what was a tough course.

Shades, yes, dealing with that many runners is a different ball game I suppose compared to my local parkruns.  It was still really friendly though, and a nice run out.
  • Options
    Big G, Bushy sounds a great event, I'm not big on the tourism thing but one I'd like to visit, its only a 70 min drive but never got round to it.

Cal well done on another parkrun, let me know when you fancy your J for Jersey farm or Panshanger.  Another few localish that I fancy are Letchworth and Castle Park so if you fancy any of those and need a lift from stations let me know.

Shades, only need 10 road marathons to qualify for 100MC I have them already, I could go for a few walks and I could join  :D  at 22 marathons I'm a long way off, I don't see 100 as a target.

Ian, sensible to back off this close to Seville, there will be better days.

Back to Panhanger for the 3rd time in a row, decided to get a better starting position so I could run from the start.  Managed to beat last weeks time by a minute (27.37) and felt okay, did struggle on the small incline at the end so walked about 50 meters.

Feeling the effects of Brexit, Went to Iceland earlier (not sure if it counts as part of the free trade agreement) but didn't see any difference, however the big packs of chicken came from Poland and the price had gone up £2 from last week. :smiley:
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry Ian, I somehow missed your post. Sounds horrible conditions but doing a 1:34 at that HR must be encouraging!

Robert, I think I’d do more locations if I could but it’s hard where I am. Bushy was on ‘the list’ though as is Severn Bridge. I do want to get to Woolacombe at some point as that will be all the Devon ones done....although I know of 2 or 3 others coming soon to Devon.  I’m in Glasgow next month so will do that if I can, as well as do different ones when travelling to marathons where possible. Well done on your run today. 
  • Options
    Big G it doesn’t appear to be too many parkrun events is the South West compared to the rest of the country, however it’s only been in the last 5 years they have been quite a few local to me popping up.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    What are the thoughts on taper? I'm planning on running 40 then 30 the next 2 weeks,would you run similar distances as usual on each run so more rest days,or less distance each day but 5 or 6 days a week?
  • Options
    I tend to run the same number of days but reduce the distance of each run 
  • Options
    Cheers Rob, I'm up for all of those but it'll be after Tokyo now. Hopefully there will be less mud in a couple of months. Rather sick of the muddy ones at the moment!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - unfortunately reaching 100 marathons no longer has the kudos that it had a few years ago.  Since all the multiple events that are now available without ever leaving places such as Kent or MK have only cheapened the sport.  Such a shame really.

Maybe you should buy your chicken from one of the German supermarkets, they stock British meat/produce.  ;)

Ian - definitely cut the distance of your long run but for the rest of the week do whichever leaves you more rested.  For me my preference is to shorten the distance of each run.  But if you have a day midweek where you've had a long tiring day at work and it's often a struggle to fit a run in, then it would make sense to rest that day and you'd maybe benefit from an extra hours sleep instead.

Just waiting for daylight to go out for my run.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, there's not even one in all major towns yet - for example, Torquay hasn't got one.  Depending on how you categorise it, I would say the city of Plymouth hasn't even got one (PL post codes have one, but that is a very large area and not the city), although there's one coming this year.  Personally, I live about 1.5 miles away from one, so I can get to one easily if I want so no complaints.  

Shades, yeah, I agree about the 100MC.  As you know I've done a few around the lake in MK but they're not the same.

A few running mates were running from Newton Abbot to Paignton today, so I ran out about 6-miles to meet them, and then ran back to Paignton, for a total of just under 13 miles.  I usually run on my own so i was nice running in company for half of the run today.  I felt a bit bad as they had to turn around and run back the 8-miles to Newton Abbot, as I veered off to go home.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Big G - I can't think where in Torquay or Newton Abbot they might have parkrun.   But there are several within easy reach so not sure they need any more in this area?

When I first started running marathons and became a wannabe we had little respect for the German 100 Marathon club who had several members with high totals.   They used to allow events they put on themselves that didn't meet our criteria here in the UK.   Now I think we've crossed that line in the UK as unpermitted events are allowed if there's insurance, such as the Kent events.   But there's no details of the insurance on the website so who knows.

The German 100 Club invited me over one Xmas to run 12 marathons in 12 days, I declined saying I couldn't get the time off work. ;) 

You shouldn't feel bad leaving your mates to run further, bet some of them envied you though with a shorter run home.

Did you get a place in the Humdinger?

Did my favourite hilly route around Denbury today, snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils and even the first primroses, lovely.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I got my dates wrong for Humdinger.  I initially thought it was today, so when I double checked and saw it was next week I didn't try and get a place as I can't do next weekend.  

Talking about medical certs, two of the runners I ran with this morning are doing Paris Marathon and their GP charged £48 each.  He didn't see them - it was literally just a stamp and a signature.  It makes a mockery of the whole thing really.