Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that seems like a really annoying injury.   It's hard not to sit down a lot when confined to lockdown restrictions.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    8 miles this morning, flat route, no hills.   We'd had some rain during the night and everything felt fresh and the smell of the blossoms was even stronger.   I had hoped it would rain while I was running and when I was a couple of miles from home the wind started to pick up and a mile from home the sky darkened and it poured with rain.   I do miss the rain so much when we have a long dry spell.

The sky is very dark now and it's raining quite hard ...I have a feeling there won't be so many 'exercisers' out today ;) 

First run in my new Guide ISO 2's.   Wasn't that impressed with them when I put them on this morning but as soon as I started to run I changed my mind.   To me they feel like Guide 9's, feel light and a really good fit which I didn't find in the ISO 1's.   
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G, I think people will take a little while to adjust but it'll eventually go back to normal. At the moment we're almost instinctively moving out of each other's way (most people at least - there are still a few inconsiderate jerks) and I think that'll last a bit longer.
    I'm sorry about your cousin.

Ian, heh, don't blame you. 10 is a good distance anyway.

Shades, enjoy the shoes. We're not due rain until tonight. (Wondering when my new shoes will come - I guess it takes longer at the moment).

Just had an email from Tokyo Marathon - they are giving us the option to defer to next year or 2022. This is good as if I defer to 2022 I don't have to worry about Manchester being too soon after (as I've deferred that to next year), plus I'll have more time to sort myself out. Tokyo would go well with London, if I ever manage to get into that, as they're a decent gap apart.

I slept OK last night - I put the fan on to drown out mouse sounds and that seemed to help. When I got up there was mouse hair on the trap so he'd somehow managed to escape - not sure he'll fall for it a second time.

Despite that, I didn't much feel like running - the grey skies didn't help - so I reminded myself I'd feel like crap if I didn't run, then put my favourite leggings on and my Kingston PB T-shirt and kicked myself outdoors. I didn't give myself a set distance but decided I'd run up to Clapham Common as I haven't done so for a while (too muddy this winter and crossing the South Circular is always a lottery) but I was glad I did. Social distancing is pretty easy there as there's plenty of space, and I think my joints appreciated the mostly dirt and grass paths. The sun also came out. Did three laps and then home a slightly longer way to make it 9 miles. And yes I feel better now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Cal - my shoes were despatched really promptly, in fact bearing in mind it was Easter weekend they arrived earlier than I expected.   I guess it depends on who they use to deliver.    Amazon and Hermes deliver every day to our street and they have multiple drops just in the few houses I can see, so I expect some delivery companies are very busy.

That's a good offer from Tokyo, 2022 would probably be the wisest choice as we can't be sure that races will be back to 'normal' next Spring.  IMHO I struggle to see any races going ahead for the rest of this year, which means London will defer their entries to 2021 so no chance of you getting a place then and by 2022 entries you may have that GFA time with a generous cushion so should be able to get a place. 

I hope that mouse has the sense to move out today.

Good to hear you're feeling better after a good run.

Just realised I should have been in Dublin right now having breakfast before travelling to Galway as it should have been Connemara Ultra this weekend :'( 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Went shopping last night to the out of town Aldi and it was very pleasant in terms of numbers of shoppers. They’d ran out of a few things (eggs and milk mainly) so I walked into the town centre Lidl this morning which was really quiet, probably because there was rain in the air. Managed to get the few bits I needed so we’re ok for another week. Some fresh veg was a) expensive and b) small/scrawny, which I guess is an indicator of what is happening with some of the supply and getting it out of the ground. Cauliflower and savoy cabbage were examples so I didn’t get those this week.

Cal, yes, I wonder if it’ll be a while for people to get back to normal even after the restrictions have been lifted.

Shades, I’m wondering similar about races the rest of the year. There’s a train of thought that movement will be restricted until a vaccine is found. Could be a long time if that’s the case! Foreign marathon wise I’ve booked and paid for Frankfurt and Warsaw in the Autumn so hoping if those races aren’t happening there are refunds etc at that point.  Although we’ve another 3 weeks (at least) of these restrictions I’m glad there were no changes to the exercise rules.

Did 7 miles today. Knee was in the main ok, and I had an enjoyable run. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Had the same thought today,should have been in New York,ready to head to Boston tomorrow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Shades-Had the same thought today,should have been in New York,ready to head to Boston tomorrow.
    I'm resigned to the situation but occasionally I have a brief moment of nostalgia for the excitement of travelling to a race.

Big G - you'll be another converted for now to evening shopping.
    The lack of rain has made the cabbage and other UK veg supplies worse.

I've got 4 trips booked with flights, rescheduled Connemara, IOM, Frankfurt and Kildare.   Kildare is in June and I've heard in the last hour that it's cancelled so will tomorrow cancel hotel and see what options I have re flights.   They are refunding entry fees.
    More funds back into my account might mean more shopping.

Good the knee is improving.
  • Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Steve - Well done on that speed training session. Not sure I'd refer to that as "ticking over" mind you!

Big G - I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, that's horrible news.
    With regards to things going back to normal afterwards, I'm not sure. I asked OH if he thought it would stop french people kissing on greeting so much and he doesn't think that's going to make much difference. I feel that if social distancing goes on for a long time then customs aren't just going to leap back into place as they were before.

Cozy - Happy belated birthday! Did you get any running presents?

Cal - Your post made me laugh. Bet that mouse had a wonderful night. Maybe try a different style of trap.. failing that I'll send you my cat!
    Well done for getting out there when you didn't feel like it. I don't think we ever really regret going for a run.

Shades - No, I haven't seen The Handmaid's Tale, I have read the book though (Think she had another one out not long ago), and yes, I know what you mean. Often feel I'm living in some kind of science fiction film. 
    Must have been fab that call to pay off your mortgage.. did you celebrate in any way? .. spend the following months payment on kit or anything?!
    Speaking of kit you're going to be drowning in trainers soon with all your refunded travelling money coming back to you. Glad to hear you are pleased with your new purchases. My, did I feel for you running through that manure. I won't even put new trainers on if it's raining for the first month I've got them.

Pretty pleased with my running over the past few days. Took a leaf out of your book this morning Shades and chose a different road to the path I normally take. Made things longer and a bit more interesting as I went past a few houses.
    At the last one a lovely young Australian sheepdog leapt up at the gate as I went past and then she quickly disappeared. She reappeared as I passed the back of the house and zoomed out of an open gate to leap up at me. This was fine but she then decided I was her new best friend and it would be a good idea to follow me. I tried shooing her back but she wasn't having any of it and stuck to me like glue. I was torn between carrying on and hoping she'd go back or taking her back to the house she'd come out of. However it was dead early plus with awkward social distancing issues I didn't really want to do that. I kept going, trying to dodge her, hide and then sprint but she wasn't having any of it. Don't know if anyone's tried to outrun an Australian sheepdog but it's not easy. I could have matched Steve's speed session. I was knackered when I finally turned a corner and almost wept with relief as she turned and ran back home. Don't think I'll take that road again. Shame as I quite liked it!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-All to often we feel better after dragging ourselves out when we dont feel like it,well done.
    Big G-Glad the injury is behaving as it cost you a long time last year if I rememebe right.
    Shades-Same really,been fine about Boston not going ahead but was thinking about it yesterday,the expo etc.
    Mama-Yet another nature expedition,glad it went eventually,guess you didn't keep your heart rate low?
    9 after work today,all good and ticking over nicely,felt a little tired at times but good as its looking like another 60+ mile week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades  - i noted your receny Saucony purchases, how do your compare them to Rides ? I noted you bought some Rides recently, i use Rides, even raced in them last yr.
    On another note i have seen rumour of Oct 11th for North Dorset, im hoping that might go ahead as i cant see Brighton or London (or any other large race) happening. IoW might happen too, which is doable for me.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I remember when I lived in Didcot, many years ago, a black dog appeared and ran with me for quite some way. Never found out who he belonged to. Glad your friend decided to go home, mamafox!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    mamafox - I haven't read The Handmaid's Tale, I saw it in the library and picked it up, then put it back as it doesn't look very big and I'd watched the TV serial, which was superb.   If you can find a streaming service that's showing it then I'd highly recommend it, not sure it's something the family would enjoy though.  It was an American production, shown here on Channel 4.

Well that was an interesting run for you taking a different route and picking up a lonely dog.   That's happened to me a couple of times, most memorable was during a 20 mile race so no option to take the dog back.  But it puts the heart rate right up stressing about getting rid of a new running companion without it getting run over by a passing car.

TR - I have a pair of Rides ISO, so not the latest model.   I want to buy another pair and I really like them, they are a great fit and feel light and fast.   I train in a lot of neutral shoes but usually for races and long runs I use a shoe for mild pronation as I tend to pronate over longer distances, but I haven't run long for over 6 months.   But if I was tempted to race in neutral shoes it would be the Rides.   Both the Hurricanes and the Guides are overpronation shoes, the Hurricanes much more than the Guides.   So I would say if you're happy with the Rides stick with them, if you need some light support try the Guides.

I haven't heard anything about North Dorset's plans for a new date yet.   I'm not really sure if the size of the event is going to make much difference, except for travel from entrants particularly overseas entrants.   After all even in a big event with 10,000 runners you're no more at risk than in a small race with 50 runners.  I think Expo's will become a thing of the past and hopefully race numbers will be posted to us in future to avoid unnecessary contact.
    Innes, the RD at North Dorset works closely with EA so she may well have a bit of inside info re when EA will be able to allow races again.

Rest day for me today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - I haven't done IOW since they switched to a new course a few years ago.   Used to be quite a tough course, which I enjoyed but a lot of traffic.   I think they changed the course due to the traffic.   If anyone could hold a marathon with social distancing then I think the IOW could do it, it used to be a no frills race, real basic marathon, great event.   The oldest marathon in the UK.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, afaik the book is just the first series and ends with her being taken away in the van. The series has expanded massively.

Just a 6 mile recovery run this morning - I used a lot of the common's rooty trail paths to keep my pace down, which seems to have worked rather well as I averaged just under 11s. Got complimented on my tights (which have oriental-style lucky cats on them) by another runner. Not too many people about today - it's rather grey out.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Decent mileage there again Ian.

MF, I wonder what it's going to be like if/when we get back to racing!  We're not going to know how to run in a straight line when we see another person...lots if stop-starting with conversations like "after you...", "no, after you..." ;) 

Cal, well done on your run too.  You seem to be getting some good mileage in as well.

Shades, enjoy your rest day.

I think I mentioned that I was doing a Q&A session with my club, and it's gone really well.  I've posted one a day since we've been in lockdown and there's still more to come.  It's been interesting finding out a bit about people and personally I've enjoyed those from people who occasionally go under the radar a bit.  It's been really good and club members have been enjoying it a lot too.  I'm just thinking about whether to organise some kind of Trotters Zoom quiz, but if say 30 or 40 people get involved I'm not sure if that's too easy to manage on Zoom.  I'll have a further think about that.

London Marathon should have been next week.  I did check the listings and couldn't see anything but I was wondering if the Beeb would do anything marathon related in its place but doesn't appear that they are.  Red button coverage isn't available yet though, but I did see they're showing some snooker from years gone by (it should have been the world champs over the next couple of weeks).  I did watch Paula's WR London run the other day on YouTube.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades - thanks for the saucony info. I keep to the older models as you can get them for £50ish, i had some triumph which are the heavier neutral shoe but the rides are much lighter.........i think the issue with races will be isolating beforehand, at the start, number collect, afterwards etc   big city marathons attract crowds too, public transport etc.......i hope Dorset goes ahead..........IoW is different now to allow quieter route, i do the 1/2 in august most yrs but its easy as its ryde, which is a foot passenger journey from portsmouth (i live close), the mara is cowes and will need a car ferry (£70ish return) but id save a lot on petrol, vlm is 100 mile drive on race day.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Big G - i think theres london marathon stuff on the been next Saturday.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh my new shoes just turned up! They are beautifully light. Looking forward to taking them for a spin.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you'll be looking forward to tomorrow's run then.  :).  Bet you won't be doing any off road tomorrow. 
     Did you buy two pairs? 

Has your mouse moved out?

Big G - as the lockdown might be a while maybe you could do rounds of the quiz with say the top 3 or 5 going through to the next round.   Can you have say 10 contestants taking part and an unlimited number of others viewing at the same time?

As TR has said there is some marathon stuff on TV next weekend.  I read somewhere a programme about Kipchoge and also archive footage of various London marathons.  Haven't got details as my TV only does a guide for the next 7 days.

TR- I had the Triumph's on my list too but then read that the previous version had poorer reviews so opted for the Rides, glad I did.  Yes still at £50 so a good buy.

When I did IOW I left my car at Portsmouth and took the ferry to Ryde.  Is it possible now to go over to Cowes as a foot passenger from Southampton?

Cancelled my Kildare hotel, that's another £135 not spent.   More shoes perhaps.   Think I might need to buy another shoe rack for all these new shoes too.

Kildare hotel kindly sent me a 10% voucher to use if I book again.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shades- yes, could drive to southampton and go over on the red jet. They tend to give discounted ferry fares for the 1/2 to encourage mainland entries, so maybe they'll do that for the full too.....i already have a North Dorset entry so if that goes on I'll be there instead anyway (assuming vlm is off as i expect it to be).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - I have an entry too for North Dorset but would like to go back to IOW at some time to do the marathon there.

I have entered the Isle of Man too, they are going to make an announcement/decision on July 1st.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Cal-Happy new shoe day.
    Big G-Judging by how many did the backyard ultra I'd say zoom can accommodate a lot of people.
    Shades-IOM is possible for me if it goes ahead,easy enough to get to.
    12 today,seemed to take me a long time to get going but managed it in the end.
    I see there will be more confusion over the exercise rule now,as the official police guidance has been released and it says driving to exercise is ok,as long as the exercise is substantially larger than the time it takes to drive there,which is the opposite of what they said not long ago.
  • Options
    So doggie went home today after accumulating 80 miles of walking in 3 weeks. Yesterday was mostly run not walk which went ok. Now i get the time to do some training or in reality returning to fitness which needs to happen before any actual training. Training which will be highly unspecific as i have no idea what i'd be running next. Potentially a park run i guess as they'd take the least time to resume although with ample notice i would imagine some local races appear too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah it’s more that I have to chat/converse with them all at some point to get their answers, count up the scores and declare a winner.   Zoom can definitely handle 100s of users - it’s more that I have to chair it effectively. 

Shades, I’ll have a think about it. 

TR, I've also got a place for NDVM...

I did 7 miles this afternoon, with the middle 5 as a MAF test at 142bpm.  I last did this early morning on 16th Aug last year, in good conditions.  Today's was a bit winder, but not massively so I don't think.  Both of these were on the same flat course. 

16/8/2019:    8:59, 8:49, 9:08, 9:21, 9:22
    Today's:          9:07, 9:09, 9:19, 9:31, 9:47.

So that's a bit depressing as I was hoping today would have been quicker!  About six weeks after that August test I did my best marathon time at Berlin last year (3:27), so from today's test I'm not near that especially based on the 5th mile.  Having said that, in the last few weeks or so I feel I've been running well on hilly/undulating routes.  Hmmm.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, you can nip over to Douglas on the Steam Packet ferry on the Saturday night and travel back after the race.

Yes, I read that relaxed  report on the guidelines for exercise.   But all good for us while they keep emphasising the importance of exercise.

Keith - it seems the dog has either kept you fit or you've kept the dog fit.   We all have the same problem that we don't have a goal to aim for, well we have goals but without time limits at the moment.
    Is your leg/calf OK now, healed?

Big G - yes, that quiz would take some planning and you'd probably need your OH to be your assistant to keep those Trotters under control ;) 

Re your MAF test I think that's a fairly good set of stats, after all it's what 4 months since that nasty chest infection, so not long recovery wise.   I can't remember what the MAF test is calculated at, is it roughly 75% MHR?

Both sets of results do show the difference between Hadd and Maffetone.   For Hadd training that would be a poor set of stats due to the cardiac drift, the 5th mile being 40 seconds slower than the first mile.   First mile is often the fastest but if base training had gone well with Hadd I would expect miles 2 to 5 to be the same pace.   
    Whatever method of training you're using definitely more base training would improve those stats.

I ought to do a Hadd test really soon while the weather is so good, maybe next weekend.

7 miles today, flat 4 miles and very hilly 3 miles sandwiched in the middle.   Lovely morning again, nice to see a few runners out.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, 142 is about 74% of my Max HR.  Yes, very disappointed with how the pace dropped off through the 5-miles test.  I feel I've been running mainly at quite a steady pace, apart from the odd occasion where I've just felt like running a bit quicker or pushing a bit on a hillier run, but seems like I need to slow down some more.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - if you do the test more often you'll get more meaningful stats.   Only having 2 sets of stats is limited info really.

I have in the past had to abandon a Hadd test as HR's were too high for what reason I don't know, and sometime on a run my HR is difficult to control, again for an unknown reason.   The following day it could be back to normal.

I'm sure if you feel you're running better, then you are, especially on the hills.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No Shades, bloody mouse is still running around. He managed to chew a hole in the side of my regular oats (which I didn't think he could as it's tough plastic/foil) but I've now made room for them in the cupboard. I put some oats on the trap but he's ignored that - I guess mice aren't all that stupid. We'll see.

Out just before 6 for a 16 miler. I decided to do Wimbledon again but I went up the Wandle and around Morden Hall Park on the way this time, since it was light enough. It was an enjoyable run aside from my hydration bladder leaking and giving me a soaking wet arse. Not sure how that happened as it looked to be properly closed when I removed it - I'm guessing it's where the hose goes into the bag itself. Hmm.
    Some tough hills on this route, particularly The 10%er on the way up to the common, and as I did a slightly different second half to last weekend, I managed to find The Alps, a "delightful" feature of the Wimbledon Trail Series which are basically a series of mounds that are steep both up and down and have all manner of rocks sticking out of the path. I was crap at negotiating them during the races, and I'm still crap - this was my second slowest mile (just after the warm-up mile at the start).
    I did realise while I was on the common that it is the only park or common that I run clockwise (I actually run Tooting in both directions, but always start anti-clockwise).
    I decided to push on a bit for the four miles home from the common, especially as I didn't want to suffer any chaffing from the wet lower half, and did the last four at sub-10 pace. Quite pleased I managed to maintain that for the last mile which is mostly uphill.
    I do have a little niggle just on the inside of my left shin - can't really tell if it's one of the tibs or the calf - so I will have to keep an eye on it. Old right achilles is starting to feel a bit tight too. I am going to have to step up the strength work, I think.
    Oh, and didn't wear the new shoes today - I didn't think it was smart to wear a model I've not used before on a long run - I'll take them for a spin on Tuesday (tomorrow being a rest day).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’m sure it wouldn’t make that much difference but yesterday I did need to weave around a little bit for social distancing reasons. When I did it last year it was before 7am and quiet along the seafront - there were just a small number of runners/cyclists and I didn’t have to weave around.  Yesterday afternoon it wasn't what I’d call busy but obviously we have to be aware of what’s going on ahead with walkers etc. I’ll try it again one morning in the near future when it’s very still with hardly any wind to compare. 
  • Options
    Shades - Undecided as it ached yesterday after fridays actual running with dog for 4 miles or so. Well mostly running. I am off out shortly now its warmer so will see how things go.