Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    10 miles for me at lunch including 30mins tempo as had a busy day so thought I might as well get my week’s speed in. Had to rush back for work so cooldown was way too fast but good run aside from that at around 7:15-7:20min/mi for the tempo bit. It does mean I’ll have to take it easy for my long run marathon reccie Saturday but think I’ll still have a good sense of how runnable the surface is at speed. 

Hoping we get some news on races soon. Like you Shades, the silence doesn’t fill me with confidence. 

Mach 4s just arrived. They’re certainly comfy to walk around.  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dorney have said there will be an update tomorrow, they think they are still goimg to be on.......which is the same status as a week ago.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A small company here have just sent an email saying about a 10k event on 2nd April, with a note saying that they're confident it's going ahead, but they'll offer refunds if it doesn't.  I wonder if they've heard something or still just taking a punt with the hope of filling the event?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well that's your work session done for this week.

Are you trying out the new shoes tomorrow.  Hoka certainly make comfy shoes.

I saw that webinar you mentioned from EA, return to competition, but I'm sure that it's Track and Field only.   T & F is all EA care about.

TR/Big G - sorry I think the race directors are just being optimistic and have no idea yet what's going to happen.  And if you asked anyone at EA they wouldn't know either.  They'll be watching the indoor athletics for the next few days rather than concern themselves with road runners and clubs that pay their wages.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    MK have also said they are very optimistic that they will be going ahead,hoping they have all had a nod and something formal will be out soon.
    Had to take a rest day today,buyers of our house pulled out this morning as they said it was taking too long,been talked back around as we are basically done,just our solicitors reviewing our file then all good to go,just took a lot of ny time and energy today.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - phew, better exchange in the next day or so before they have another wobble.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just had an email of MK,they say they are very confident,the delay is because EA are awaiting a reply from the government around travel restrictions as they say there is a discrepancy in the roadmap,guessing they are ironing out the stay local guidance which could well rule me out.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Shades- agreed, i meant in the absence of any more news, their stance is still as it was. As Ian says i was wondering if the minimise travel part is the tricky point now. Thats in the roadmap until May too?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-From April 12th people are allowed to travel to second homes and also stay away in self contained accommodation so it will be hard to justify stayblocal advice then.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Agreed, but thats as a household i guess and not for hundreds of folks from various areas all coming together at a race meet?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Possibly,but Centre Parcs have said they are opening all their centre's from that date,so that's gathering lots of different households together.Just wish they'd hurry and say what it means.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I did think the travel might be an issue.  From 12th April overnight stays are individuals or households only so that means no sharing of accommodation for friends or say two club runners travelling to the same race.  So overnight stays would be very expensive, unless camping but even then there can be no shared use of facilities.

Center Parcs, you rent a cabin don't you, all self contained.   No shared facilities.

On EA's Track and Field roadmap, it says Minimise Travel, but that needs to be clarified.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes centre parcs has no shared facilities,I was thinking more about the amount of people from different households being together in the same area.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - presumably they'll have to stop the holidaymakers fraternising!   Good luck with that.   Kids too naturally want to play with other kids.

So will you drive to MK on the day?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I will try and book some accommodation if I'm allowed to,I contacted some last week and they are waiting for official guidance,surprise there hey.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Another tough race on Zwift tonight, but enjoyable as part of the team.  Lots of chat and tactics on Discord with the team, and they were a good, friendly bunch.  Unfortunately for me though, I'm officially now in Cat B as if I enter Cat C now I'll be DQd....
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not really much more info, although the point about self contained venues is interesting, but an RD acquaintance of mine posted this yesterday evening about the return to races, as he attended the webinar about it.  I guess this is why the local company here is fairly confident though, as their 10k is on private land:
    For those interested in the return of races.
    England Athletics held a return to competition webinar this evening, which while was maninly focussed on track and field, road and trail races were mentioned.

The key bit of information that most of you would be keen on hearing is that EA along with other sports bodies are meeting with Sport England/DCMS on both 8th March and 22nd March.  It is at these meetings, and they are trying to make it happen at the 8th March meeting, where they want confirmation on several points regarding the start of events and competition.

At this time some of the key points they want confirmation on are:
    Can road and trail races start on 29th March and if they do, what mitigations and restrictions will need to be in place.  The hope is that it is similar if not the same as last year.
    This includes what extra social distancing measures are required.

There is a conflict in the roadmap that says minimise travel finishes on 11th April and 16th May.  EA want to clarify which date is the correct one and what does minimise travel mean for event/competitions, as it may mean that only ‘local’ runners can take part.  This could be county wide but they are waiting for clarity.

One other comment made is whether the ‘formally organised sport’ has to be at a self contained venue until May or June.  This could impact events that use public paths or roads, again clarity is being sort on this.

So we may have an answer on what is needed early next week, otherwise it could be just after the 22nd March, although they did say that they are hoping to move that later meeting to the week before.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I hope you get a holiday in the sun this year but if not you may have to make do with a long weekend in MK.   ;)

Big G - thanks for posting that.   Very interesting.   Doesn't inspire me with any confidence at all I'm afraid.

I think that shows that EA haven't got a clue and have all this time worked on their precious Track and Field.  There isn't a single bit of information or a decision made except they've got meetings planned, why would they need 2 meetings when one would do.   So it looks like there'll be no actual guidance until after the 2nd meeting, so less than a week before some events are hoping to go ahead.   Truly pathetic, they should be ashamed of themselves, supposed to be the governing body of our sport.   :#

8 miles this morning, really cold sharp wind but good apart from that.  My third pair of 1080's turned up yesterday, I now have them in 3 sizes, 7, 7 wide and, 7.5.   These were the 7.5's I tried today and they fit fine, the arch support is the same as the 7 wide, (the 7's it's a bit snug), and in the new shoes I had plenty of room in the big toe area but they still fit well.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it was really cold out there today!  Glad you like the new 1080s :)

I went out and did 5.5 miles today in Asics GT2000.  I had no problem with the achilles or anything but they did feel really clunky in comparison to the NB.  Keeping in mind I've worn the Asics for years in various incarnations, that was a bit surprising.  This pair only have 30 miles on them, but I think they'll get more use when I hope to back out onto the coast path for long runs.

I did a loop that included having to go onto the beach for a stretch of the run.  The council were down there with tractors etc getting the sand off the walkway alongside the beach, so it was closed to pedestrians.  No issue though as the tide was out and it was only for a few hundred metres.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I have now to decide which size I think is perfect for me, a bit like Goldilocks and the 3 bears.   But at least I know I can wear all 3 sizes.

Re your shoes, it may be that in the future you'll favour the lighter more cushioned shoe for your daily training shoe.   I doubt you overpronate much anyway as you race quite happily in neutral shoes even over marathon/ultra distances.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think for my next MAF test I may try the Asics Roadhawks that I wear for marathons.    They're light and I do like them, and that's what I wore for my MAF tests last year but there's not a huge amount of cushioning on them though so it'll be interesting to see how I get on.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the Roadhawks are on my wish list, have been for quite a while.    :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Decided to ditch a session on Zwift today.  It means I probably won't complete week 2 of the Zwift plan fully, although yesterday's race wasn't in the plan.  As I've always said, running is the priority and I just feel a ride would possibly tire me out a bit, especially as I would like to get to around 50 miles of running this week if I can (currently I'm on 34).  But Zwift is reminding me I have a session today....I must resist :)  
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Dorney have updated, EA say that events that are CV safe can restart March 29th, but the minimise travel point now becomes the limiting issue, so clarification is being sought.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - and also the other issues that Big G posted this morning from his race director friend who attended the webinar.  They need to be resolved/clarified too.

Are Dorney OK with having to potentially wait until after the 22nd for this information?  
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    7 miles this afternoon in the Mach 4. They seem really good for me so far. Cushioned but not marshmallow-ey like my transcends, with a super comfy upper and stable without actually being a stability shoe. Legs a bit sore from tempo yesterday and they felt really good which is what I want from them for all my MAF day-to-day. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dorney is closed off, so its just the travel issue....they said they will give options from next Friday if its still not resolved.....I'll probably just move to Goodwood regardless and free up easter.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - the Mach 4's sound really good especially after your tempo run yesterday.   You shouldn't really be that sore the day after your tempo run, too far perhaps but more likely too fast.

TR - perhaps Dorney should move to their provisional date at the end of April.   Sounds like EA haven't got a clue what they're talking about.   Doesn't instill confidence for the race directors who would be the ones to get fined if they break Covid rules.

Is Dorney a fair drive for you?
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - The soreness isn’t much and less than last week for sure. I’d assumed it was the combination of adding intensity while I’m at weekly mileage I’ve never been before? I’ve assumed tempo pace to be between HM and 10k. Shall I think about closer to HM maybe?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you've been at that level of mileage for a while now.  Pace seems OK too, maybe shorten the tempo distance of the run or switch to mile reps for a while, you can either run an easy mile in-between each rep or as long as it takes to get your HR back down to MAF rate.