Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm pretty sure that Dad doesn't know about the form.   He hasn't signed it anywhere, anyway.  I don't know the rules around whether he should have had that conversation with the staff or not, but I'm fairly sure he didn't.  I'll have a think about whether to mention it or not, but it would be quite a hard conversation to have.  It hasn't been trivial getting everything in place relating to his care but I'm pleased with what has been provided, and yes, he's happy to be home.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, very difficult subject to bring it up.

My mother out of the blue one day just said to me that if anything happened to her she didn't want to be resuscitated.   She then got a DNR form and signed it.   Her fear was that she would then be trapped in hospital forever.

She didn't need it in the end but I was glad she'd told me about the DNR request.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry Rcouture, I misread your pace range - I thought you had said 7:00-7:55, but I misread it!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Both my parents had DNRs. I would speak to your dad about it - it's his life, after all.

Today was scheduled as a run day but I am definitely not going to be doing that. I am still feeling a bit unwell and need to let my body deal with the infection before I add any more stressors.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - best to rest when fighting an infection but antibiotics usually kick in quite quickly don't they, so you'll be back out there soon.

I cancelled the gym  for later this morning as when I woke I was aching and muscles feel quite tired, I have been to the gym the last 3 days and upping the weights, so no surprise really.

I'm fed up of flat routes so today I deliberately did one of my favourite hilly routes through a quiet pretty village and decided to run what I could and walk the steeper uphills and downhills, that worked fine and only had one twinge in my ankle.   Beautiful morning, fresh but so clear, great views of Dartmoor, momentary touch of sadness for not being able to do DD this year.  :'(  It rained during the night and the sun was out and the hedgerows are full of bluebells, wild garlic and cow parsley.   Birds singing their heads off, on the way home a little bird was on the road and hopping ahead of me, thought first it was a greenfinch, then realised that it was a bit too brightly coloured.   When I got closer it turned out to be a budgerigar, obviously an escapee, it seemed quite happy, flew up and perched on the hedge.    Rain for the last mile, sunny too and a gorgeous rainbow.   5 miles 428 feet. 

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Good news that your dad is home. My OH signed a dnr for her op recently and it’s a pretty grim thing to do. Yes I pencilled in my time trial half of 1:36 in a conservative prediction model and it spat out 3:26 for the marathon. That half was in December before a lot of miles but it was also a funny trial as there were 6 mins worth of stoppages at lights about 4 times so think it’s a sensible time to take. 

6 miles super slow for me at lunch just nursing the legs back from the 20 miler on Sunday. Felt heavy legged but HR nice and low and no niggles. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - That is a bit scary your wife having a DNR, I always associate it with the elderly.
    Hope your wife is making a good recovery.

We should stop telling you what pace to run your marathon at, it's your race and you've got your own plan.

Rest day today.   Was going to go to the gym but have just cancelled as my phone has locked me out and I need to go into town to get this sorted.   Never happened to me before and I don't think it's going to be good news.  :#   Asking for Android password, which I don't have, I've tried the usual 1234 and last 4 digits of my phone number, neither worked.    Any suggestions most welcome.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Is it the main screen to unlock the phone? 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, I'm guessing there was an update during the night and for some reason asking for password, never happened before
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    If it is 4 numbers try 0000,if it is words try default_password
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    No, that didn't work either.   I think I only have 8 chances and I've tried about 6 or 7 already,  It doesn't specify how many digits required.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    They are the only ones I could find, rest all mention factory reset,the only other thing I can think of is my Google chrome account on pc is linked to my phone,is there a workaround that way?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so, it's asking for Android password on a black screen.  I've googled it and most saying it has to be reset and will lose all data.   I can only make an emergency call of restart/power off, nothing more.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture, not nice for your wife or you.  Glad she was okay.  One nurse did tell me informally that they seem to often default to DNR these days, which was a surprise to me.

Shades, sorry, I can't help with the phone.  I hope you get it sorted out.

Spent some time with Dad yesterday just trying to get some stuff sorted out around the house.  The carer came for the first time, and then went well too.  He seems okay, blood sugar under control for now, so hoping that continues, although his very tired, so hopefully that will improve (he didn't sleep well at all in hospital).  I did an 8-mile run from Dad's house in the evening, which was really enjoyable and I'm about to jump on the bike for a bit.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - glad your Dad is settling well back at home and his blood sugars are under control.   Nice for you doing a run from a different location.

Went downtown to sort my phone out, I was going to go to the place in the market which I've heard is good but I stopped into Vodafone on the way.   Apparently when they set my phone up they should have given me the Android password, they didn't, so that password can't be reset and is the equivalent of the dreaded blue screen on a PC.   Anyway he did a reset on my phone, so have lost all my apps, but I still have photos and contacts as that was backed up.   Took him half an hour and didn't charge me at all, which was a nice surprise.   He did try and sell me a new phone, I declined, but if I have the same problem again with the Android password I will do so.
    Took a few attempts to get it connected to home wi-fi but that's working now so will take a while to put back all my regular apps.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, good news about the phone!  Yes, it's been nice running from a different location.  It's roads I've ran before, but nice doing a loop from his house.

I did about 1hr45 on the bike this morning and I'm dropping in to see him a bit later.  I'm going with OH so we'll stop for a late lunch and to walk the dog :)  Tentative plan is to run back home from there after seeing him so depending on if I add some on or not, it'll be about 7 miles. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - have you heard what your start time is for Sunday yet?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've just checked the website and seen your start time, that's a good time, considering the drive etc.

I sent the RO an email asking if I could defer until 2022, I knew it was a very late request so wasn't surprised when I didn't get a reply.   But I see I'm not on the start list, although I had give her my estimated time, so maybe she has deferred me after all.    I haven't had a number in the post either, have you?

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good news on the phone.
    Got my 2nd jab lined up for next Tuesday,so will be all jabbed up then.We have booked some flights to Malta at the end of June with free cancellation on hotel,I'm presuming Malta will be green by then,if not we will change the flights.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I got my race number and timing chip on Monday, so that's good.  Saves faffing when I get to the race.

Ian, sounds good about Malta.  Where are you planning on staying?

I ran home from Dad's in the pouring rain, so I came home the most direct route which was 6-miles.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-We are staying in Qawra,never been to Malta so looking forward to it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you and OH must be desperate for a holiday in the sun.   Malta thought they were going on the green list last week so I take it they must be close to it.

That's good news about your jab too, you'll be over any tiredness in time for Windermere.

How's the leg, better now?

Big G - I must have a deferred entry for Worcester 2022, which is good.   I see weather forecast is good for your marathon.

We've certainly had some rain over the last few days and was very heavy for my 6 miles this morning, quite a bit of flooding too.   Did a flat route today and at 1.5 miles I have a choice of either, pavement along the main road  flat, or quiet path and small road with a little hill.  I chose the path which was a mistake as there was a big section of flooding and had to run through it, cold water and very wet feet.   Ran home the other way.

Just booked a Pilates class for Tuesday.   :)

Phone was OK this morning, I'm dreading that it might happen again.   Needless to say the only problem I'm having is getting Garmin Connect to link to my Garmin, was a pig the first time I set it up, so no surprise really.  Have also lost the text confirmation of my 2nd jab next week but I expect I can regenerate that from the website.  

Gym later   :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No it is still there,was OK for a bit so I ran and Monday and had a couple of sore days,some days it hurts if I run,some just hurts when I'm walking around,hoping the physio can help me get to the bottom of it.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - how frustrating, hopefully the physio will sort you out.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I just wish there was a pattern to when it hurt,if it was just when I ran a certain distance,terrain or pace or anything like that then I could work around it.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Went to Malta 3 years ago. Great place, you’ll love it. Hope the physio can sort you out. 

6 miles for me today and yesterday. Feeling a bit sluggish for some reason still. Think might just be  the after effects of that hard 20 miler at the weekend. I’m only cutting my usual weekday regular run by a mile and not doing 10 milers midweek so it’s not the taper. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - sounds like taper fever to me.    ;)   

There can be a big 'phew' when the training is done, especially the last long run and that can have the effect of making you feel sluggish.    The main reason runners avoid a long taper is that it can make some feel tired, others start getting niggles, some imaginary.  Others turn into raving hypochondriacs.  But others do enjoy the taper period.

6 miles today, lovely morning, everywhere looking lush after all the rain.  I had quite a good run despite aching from my gym session yesterday, especially my glutes.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, let's hope the physio sorts it.

RCouture, sounds to me like you're ready to race :)  

I did about 8.5 miles this morning, with the first approx 4 miles with the dog.  I think that's only my 4th run with him and he is getting better on the harness.  Pace terrible with him, and any seagulls within 20m of need to beware (as do I!), but I'm not bothered about the pace and it was quite a nice run out really.  I got back home, dropped him off, and finished off my own run.

Survey for DD entrants has gone out for the waved starts.  I set up the survey so I'm getting all the responses prior to collating them for Chair.  At Committee he did remark that he was a bit annoyed that parkrun want to reopen on the same day as DD with no restrictions/changes to how they operate, whereas he's having to spend quite a lot of time preparing to be Covid safe etc.  I did say to "watch this space" regarding parkrun because at the moment they've got nowhere near enough events with the green light to restart, so as it stands 5th June seems unlikely for parkrun, which I think made him feel a bit better.  It'll be interesting to see the comms from parkrun over the next week or so. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think running with Tigg will ever be part of your MAF training  ;)  but I'm sure you both enjoy it.

If I remember rightly Chair is not a parkrun fan anyway.   I saw one of the Exeter parkruns won't happen as permission refused, apparently due to works on the course but I wonder if the council (or whoever is the landowner) is grateful for an easy reason to decline permission.

I thought Chair might have waited until EA/RB announce any changes to race format, it's possible that waved starts might not be required, or the waves might be allowed to have more runners   Don't think there's been any clear guidance from EA/RB yet, nothing new there. :smiley:     Sport England have made some changes but it's not finalised yet.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at the parkrun website, this is the latest news I think...

Meanwhile we continue to gather permissions from landowners across England in readiness for the return of 5k events. We are working towards a deadline of 21 May to make a decision on whether events will be able to return on 5 June.

So that's a change in tone, from saying that events would start on 5th June, to now saying they will make a decision on 21st May.   If only they would be honest and say the decision is not theirs to make.