Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I only get sore toes from racing too.
    Like you I've run every day since the marathon, different shoes every day though, but I am taking a rest day tomorrow.

Allegedly shoes last longer if cushioning allowed to restore itself by not being used every day, I don't know if that's true.

I haven't got you on the marathon list for this weekend, 😮 will correct tomorrow when back on my PC.

Don't think it's a good course to run to HR as you'd have to hammer the downhills 😉

Have you ordered the V10 or V11 this time?

I spent a few minutes checking prices of the 1060's this morning.   I'm going to do a long run on Sunday in the wide fitting, if it goes well I might buy another pair fairly soon.

TR - you run well in the Rides, I think they're a good fit and that makes them feel nippy to me.
    I had an email recently from Up & Running saying Rides and Guides are £75, but I didn't check that out.

Good upper body session in the gym.  Annoyingly I had faint twinge in achilles walking there but nothing while in the gym nor on the walk home.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Xpost Cal - I've never had an achilles injury before, just a few times I've had a bit of discomfort and I've cancelled a race or two and been careful and it's gone away.

Sorry to hear that hamstring is still causing you pain.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Cal, in terms of hours exercise I'm way down this week compared to previous weeks, as no Zwifting.  I may well take a full day off tomorrow though in any case as the new shoes haven't arrived today.

Shades, I went for the V10 again, mainly as they were a bit cheaper and I know they work fine for me.  I was tempted with the V11 but I just thought I'd save a bit of cash.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Well a few of my predictions came in,I started way too fast,really hurt 1-3 and I came last in my race.
    Decided as it was only 5k I'd hammer it for a mile and see where I was,thinking its only 2 more miles of pain if it backfires and boy did it.First mile done in 5.28,what the hell was I thinking,soon drifted over 6,then 5.57,finished in 18.29 so 55 secs behind 18 months ago,but actually I was pleased with it after the last few months I've had.I finished DFL in the A race but not by far,overall I was 262/548 so halfway whereas I'm usually top quarter but this is a very fast race,Jonny Mellor came 2nd and sub 16 scraped inside the top 100.
    Just had a watch of the live stream and I wasn't actually last,4 finished behind me and 1 DNF.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Ian, that sounds like it was 18 minutes of pain, 5:28 mile :open_mouth:   It is a very fast race so you did well especially after the injury interruptions to your training.   Hope the calf/shin is OK today.

Have you got any other races planned before Windermere?

Big G - I don't think there's anything about the v11 that warrants buying them while stock of V10 available.   I managed to find some v10 at £74, but not my size in the wide fitting.   I'm not buying right now, I need to do a couple of long runs in them to see if they're a suitable race shoe for me.

Rest day for me today.    Gym later
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Updated list as Big G kept quiet about this weekend's marathon  ;)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I just looked at my HR stats for Plym Trail, my average HR is always lower at this event due to the downhills and probably as I can't find the enthusiasm to push on the last couple of miles.   Last year I was training really well, much faster than I am at present, although I hadn't been doing long runs, my average HR was 79% MHR.   Previously it's ranged from 79% to 82% at this event.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I make no apologies for pasting another marathon list so soon, but Rcouture's race is now on RunBritain's website.   :)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'd say it was about 15 mins of pain,the first few were fine  :)
    Heart rate was 173 so about 94% of max.
    Rcouture-Exciting to see you on the list.
  • Options
    I have selected a start time of 8:45 for Windermere which is about right for the time i usually get there. Means i should be done by 2 and home for last day football season which starts 4 unlike usual ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 94% is high, but I suppose for a 5km not unusual.      

Keith - how are they doing the staggered start at Windermere?    Any news on the drink station situation?

Big G - now if your shoes arrive today..........

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Fantastic effort and time there, Ian!  You've got to be pleased with that!

Sorry Shades, I thought I had mentioned this week's Plym Trail but there were changes of plans as I missed the one in April due to my vaccine, so maybe I forgot to mention this one.  But if I do tomorrow and then Worcester, I think that will be about as much as I could do in prep for DD, alongside Shepperdine.  I did miss April's Plym Trail and didn't really replace it with a suitable long run (I did a flat 17.5-miler with 13 at MP), but I may be able to get one other long run in, possibly on the coast path, before DD.  We'll see.

I saw that LoD image and showed it to my OH last night and she smirked, knowingly....

Not sure if people are following what is going on with parkrun?  As a parkrun fan, I'm disappointed :(  They're putting public pressure on landowners (maintaining a list of public events that have agreed to restart, etc) and encouraging people to contact the landowners asking them to restart parkrun.  Really not happy with the wording of this post, and then their Global CEO Tweeted this about Local Authorities and legal action, which is just ridiculous in my opinion.  I wonder if they're worried about finances?  If so, it does put a different spin on their comms these last few months though, with that in mind.  I did have a look at their accounts a few months ago and I wouldn't say they looked unduly worrying at that time, but I don't know.
    https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2021/04/30/uk-update-30-april/
    https://twitter.com/NickPearsonRuns/status/1388199710431846402?s=19

From the blog he mentions "...it’s extremely frustrating that other businesses, activities, and sports, are simply able to return based on a nationally approved date", but unless I'm mistaken they're not even aiming for the approved date, but earlier!?  Plus, RDs and other businesses have had to adapt, as have participants, but parkrun haven't even tried to make any significant changes to how they do their events, saying they won't do waved starts etc.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you might have mentioned Plym Trail in passing but with Davey changing dates I probably didn't realise you'd signed up for another one. :)

With a lack of pre DD events I expect a lot of runners won't have done what they would have liked as DD preparation.   I was hoping to do a long run tomorrow but it's going to be frosty again and that won't help my legs so I might do a bit shorter than planned and then a long run next weekend, hopefully any achilles niggle/uncertainty would have gone then.

Wow I've just read that parkrun press release, their arrogance is breath taking, that attitude won't win them any friends.   I assume that the bitchy remarks are aimed at local councils.   Not sure why they're so impatient unless they need to restart to get any funding from Sport England or whoever pays their generous wages while unpaid volunteers do the work at the actual parkruns.  I was puzzled as to why parkrun chose the date of 5th June when the earliest for group events with no social distancing would be 21st June.   And now they want to take legal action, pathetic.   They should just change the start date to 21st June+ and show some responsibility.

Apparently more people took up running during Covid lockdowns than ever did due to parkrun.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-That is exactly what I said when they announced their potential restart date.They are aiming for June 5th,I think,when it is still likely to be rule of 6 or 2 households allowed to meet,if they just waited until 21st it is down to be no limits on gatherings and therefore they should have no issues.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I do know that only a few weeks ago, parkrun were telling the event teams not to contact landowners.  Then, there was a post on 28th April saying they'd written to landowners (why are they only doing this now?!), but also encouraging everyone to contact landowners ("If you can influence and encourage your local landowner to confirm permission quickly, please do so").  Then 3 days later there's talk of legal action.  I agree, pathetic.  I think if I was a landowner potentially getting inundated with emails, and also receiving emails like that from parkrun, I'd probably delete them and think "screw 'em!".

Ian, I also don't understand why they actively chose that 5th June date....it's never made sense to me.
  • Options
    Shades - as per below although i was under the impression 10 was still a start time but i guess this allows for lateness and maybe the true start time is 15 mins approx after the picked time. I'll carry a bottle with me to dump at 10 miles or so for the first bit and erm will stick something foodwise into my pocket too as i guess there will be no kendal mint cake like normal. There is a final details to follow nearer race day too.

As in previous years the event centre, start and finish lines will be at Brathay Hall, Ambleside, LA22 0HP. 

Our plan will avoid crowds gathering at any point – the event will not have a mass start. Runners will start in socially distanced groups of 40 every 5 minutes. Start times are available to book between 8am and 09.25.  

When choosing your start time please consider the following:

It will take approximately 15 minutes to move you through the registration process and to walk to the start line. Upon arrival at the carpark on the Brathay Estate, please remain in your vehicle until 15 minutes prior to your race start time.  

We are not seeding runners based on their pace but please consider choosing a start time based on your expected running time.  If you are a slower runner we would advise you to choose an earlier time slot and if you are a faster runner we ask you to book a later time slot.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - parkrun really do have a strange attitude, never mind delusions of grandeur.  They seem to behave like getting parkrun started on the 5th June is the way out of the pandemic.   I'm sure they do have a letter from the Sports Minister endorsing the return of parkrun but surely that support is only valid if they follow government rules on Covid.

Keith - so Windermere's plan is that you arrive, sit in your car until 15 minutes to go then collect your number and be directed down the driveway to the start immediately.  That's fine as long as the toilets are in the car park.   At least these days with chip timing it doesn't matter if you miss your designated start time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert and Big G - good luck for tomorrow.

Looking forward to the race reports.  🙂
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Good luck guys,hope it goes well.
    Leg was a bit sore this morning but all good as the day has gone on.I forgot,back in December I was looking at doing more ultras and applied for the crawley 6hr waiting list,been offered a place now so need to decide,it's not ideal it's July and a 12 noon start,but there isn't many of them around.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good the leg seems to be improving.

I've done the 12 hour at Crawley a long time ago.   Since then it's clashed with Connemara and/or Taunton.
    Quite a long drive for you too, it's bad enough from here, traffic wise, rather than distance.   But it's well organised and it was a nice track.  I was first lady at the 12 hour and won a Brooks running jacket, which I still have  :)

I have decided not to run today, I had a restless night and felt really tired this morning, not helped by the fact that I seem to have trashed my quads in the gym yesterday without realising it.   It's cold and frosty again, that was the final decider.  No frost tomorrow and I should be home from my run before the bank holiday weather arrives, gales and heavy rain  :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I had a good run out today at Plym Trail.  Probably everyone is aware, but after the first mile, this one is essentially down a hill for 6-miles, turn around and come up the hill, and repeat that for the marathon.  It is really hard to pace it accurately as although not steep, 5 of the 6 miles is basically up hill constantly.

Anyway, this was my 10th outing on this course and the conditions were really good.  I wore a vest again and it was cooler than last week, and as the course is sheltered whatever mild wind there was didn't impact the runners.  After a quick test with my new NB yesterday up and down the path outside my house, I opted for them today.  They're half a size up and still the wide version and they performed well.  I know it's a bit risky trying anything new on a race day, but I felt this was a calculated risk and I was happy with the shoes so I'll be wearing them at DD.

As I said previously this wasn't a "race" for me, but more of a training run, and I was with running and chatting with a club mate until the 20-mile turn around and then I eased away from her.  I was just feeling really strong and had found the 20-miles quite easy and comfortable to be honest.  I overtook 4 people on the last section and I think I finished 3rd or 4th overall (this is a very, very small field, but I'll confirm where I finished when the results are out!).  The last 5 miles are always hard on this course but I dug in a bit towards the end and finished in a course best for me of 3:36:59, which is about a 5-min course best.  I've had some really poor performances on this course (i.e., over an hour slower than today, often in bad conditions though).  I do remember really digging out a sub-4 one day and that broke me (I DNS'd day 2 that weekend), so I'm happy with how it went today.  Pretty sure I went through half way in about 1:48-ish so more or less an even split too, which is good as I've done fairly big positive splits here in the past.  So, all things considered, it was a good day out bringing up 57-miles for the week.

I do have a confession to make though - I forgot my HR strap.  As I was turning off the main road into the village, I realised I didn't have it with me.  I would have liked the stats, but nothing I can about that now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a great run with a sizeable course best from you today.

Glad the new shoes did you well too.

It doesn't really matter about the HR stats for this course as the nature of the route doesn't really give any helpful data for future races.

I hope that today's time has given you more confidence re getting to marathon point at DD, subject to conditions, in a reasonable time.
  • Options
    Had a tough day at the office at two castles trail.... went very wrong and got to the finish at 7:42 with 50k on the clock... will return with a report when I can think straight 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great running,nice chunk off your previous course best.
    I decided against the 6hr,we are hoping to get away June/July and that is a week we can both get off so want to keep our options open.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - oh dear, hope you can take some recovery time today and put your feet up.

Ian - Crawley is probably not your ideal holiday destination,  ;) quite a trek for you too.    The Chorley 6 hour event is scheduled for 2nd October if you don't have a marathon planned that weekend, not so far to travel either.   It's not on a tartan track but round a park.

8 miles today, flat route, but I did a longish gentle hill up and down midway through the run and no twinge in achilles.   The little hill to home was also pain free so hopefully that is the end of that achilles niggle.   Quads are still a bit tired from the gym on Saturday, not sure how I did that.
  • Options
    Did a 5k speed test this morning before using the Project Joker thing on etch. Broadly speaking 10 week 'plan' of three runs a week. Long run of 60-90 mins, tempo run of mile warm up and down then 20-30 mins at pace, finally intervals of either 10x 400m or 5x 800m. Managed 26:19 which is fastest on Park run route which means intervals of 4:19 per 800m and tempo pace of 9:02 with long run target pace of 10:38. Will see how things go.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the report, Robert.  It sounds like it was an adventure!

I did myself a slight disservice.  My previous best time on this course was 3:45:35, so it was actually 8.5min course best yesterday.  Odd really, because as I say the first 20 were very much in control.

I am a bit tired, but legs generally feel okay today, which is quite a big difference compared to after Shepperdine.  As it's BH Monday and no kids going to school, I had a bit of a lie in and got my recovery run done a bit later.  6 miles, nice and easy, and missed a rain shower which was a bonus :). Right hammie was a bit tight early on but that eased after a mile or so so hoping for 50-60ish this week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - blimey you're doing speedwork now, you should get some very good race results/PB's soon.

Big G - 8.5 mins CB, even better  :)

At Plym Trail it is the last 6 miles that are mentally and physically hard.  :#   I take it no sore toes today either.    :)

I missed the rain too today, I ran out to Teigngrace and it was dry but when I got back to town it had rained there whilst I'd been away. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, good news your achilles seems to be behaving too.  No issues with toes today for me.  It's a bit odd but I've got 3 different sizes of those NB's and they all work for me in one way or another.  I've never done that before with a shoe.  In the past I have had 2 different sizes of the same Asics, but never 3.  But this new pair are in the box now and they'll come out again for DD.
  • Options
    Ian thats a fab time on your 5k, 

Big G parkrun and their bully antics have annoyed me, I've had to snooze their posts for a bit.  I understand why they are doing what they are doing but the tone isn't right, also I don't agree the events should start until after June 21st if restrictions are lifted fully to allow.  Well done yesterday nice course best.

Rcouture great to see you on the list!

The two (one) castles trail marathon 
    Woke up 6am, out of bed fed the cats and had breakfast, abut a 70 min drive ended up being a 90 min drive due to a diversion which pretty much bought me past my house again grrrr! I messaged Elle to let other WJ know so they didnt waste their time.  Arrived a bit later than planned but no issue really as the start was informal.  Elle told me one of the WJ (Colin) had car issues and wasn't going to make it.

Queued for the loo so missed my start, a quick selfie and off I went, after running 200m I saw Colin so waited for him to start and navigate together a seasoned pro of 130 marathons thought it would be some good company for as long as i could keep pace knowing some slower WJ were now about 20 mins ahead so we could catch them and see how I was then.

I switched my watch with the gpx and the route had failed to save any points so was telling me I was at the start and the finish so threw the watch in the bag, colin in a flury had also forgot to bring his watch with with the gpx in a mad rush that morning either.  It didnt take long for us to take a wrong turn but easily fixed before the first castle climbed up for a quick selfie and back down before embarking on a gradual climb to cp1.  I was happy to skip but the marshal informed up the next cp wasn't for 9 miles which I thought was wrong (it turned out it was).  On the way to cp2 we managed to get lost, due to the late start we were at the back of the pack, we saw runners in the opposite direct so decided to head to them, they were on the half marathon having already been to cp2 so we decided to head to the cp.  Colin who hadn't dnf before was considering calling it a day but said as long as we were able to move we should carry on.  Arrived at cp2, it was only for the half runners, we rang the RD and asked if there was a way to get the cp2 for the full which we managed to navigate our way.  

CP2 to cp3 wasn't so much of an issue but I was starting to tire and said I'm going to take a break and decide what I'm going to do, had a chat and thanked the marshals at the cp, I was tempted to drop as on a village green and a lovely looking pub over looking the cricket which was due to start shortly.  I got out the chair and made my way off as felt I needed to see the 2nd castle at least.  Off I went on my own, low expectations of a finish but had a long run, miles in the legs and time on my feet, I was navigating well for a couple of miles when the instruction in bold  Look R, no fp when in line with fb xfd (look right, there is no path but when in line with footbridge cross field) at this point bumped into Colin and two others and were at a loss, we after a wander we decided to try and just aim for the final cp then make our way to the finish.

Was great to have some company, we made a plan and I was tiring, colins phone had died we left the navigation to the ladies, after 4 miles of running we were less than a mile from the cp (by road but we didn't know it) or 1.5 miles by reversing the trail... but we went in the wrong direction for another 4 miles before I searched a landmark near the cp and said we were 8 miles away!  We rang the RD to say we'd make our own way back thankfully we were only 5km out.  Feeling beaten, I had already clocked 28 miles it felt a long way to the finish, the two girls decided to drop and wall the RD to pick them up whilst myself and colin made our way back, pondering on if we should class it as a dnf or dq?  about 200m from the finish we saw the girls driving home, they said they got their medal and were included in the results, which I couldn't quite believe as I wasn't expecting us to, with that we picked the pace up and finished.  Explained everything and they said happy to count it as a finish.

I wasn't expecting it to count and it shouldn't however with the effort put in and we did make it back to the finish and clocked 50km it's nice to have something to show for it.  I will go back next year and have another crack at it as I do need to see both castles.  Awaiting official results to confirm my last place and time.  It was a hard day out on the trails for the best part of 8 hours, but remained injury free, standing upright given just 250 miles so far this year and 100 of them were in Jan I felt okay, couple of strains and quads are sore, manged to walk next doors dogs for them.