Comments

• Options
    Yes, the girls have killer eyeliner.  :D
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Cal Jones said:
    Yes, the girls have killer eyeliner.  :D
    They certainly do, I just looked at a picture to remind myself.

10 hilly miles this morning, 874ft.   Very cold and frosty, I had time today to go out later but as it was only going to be 4 degrees warmer 3 hours later I didn't think it was worth waiting and I'd have more traffic.   Too cold for my legs but I had some good stretches of the route where they weren't too bad.   Hopefully last frost for a few days at least.

50 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OH is away, so I got fish and chips last night in prep for my long run :D  Very nice too. (To be continued....). 

17 miles this morning, with a few hills thrown in, most of which I ran, so HR went up a bit on those as expected. Average for the whole run was still at my MAF rate though so I didn’t go crazy, and it wasn’t super-hilly anyway. Lovely morning, clear skies and stunning views - felt really lucky to be out there today and that’s 60 for the week. 

I have some running friends who did the Arc of Attrition this weekend - 2 did the 50 miler and 1 the 100 miler.  It is brutal running conditions around there and the chap who did the 100 is a very good runner and did 29 hours, which is a very good time on that terrain and got him a gold buckle.  It is about 14000ft of elevation and I cannot imagine going through the night on that path, as it is really bad in places even in the day time! I have no interest in doing anything like this, but amazing achievement for those who do it.

Regarding fish and chips, I purposefully ordered two pieces and large chips. So I’ve got the same for today’s lunch, and it’ll be in the oven shortly :) 

• Options
    Well done Shades. I think I was luckier as there was no frost here although it was only 2 or 3 degrees when I went out. But the sun came out and it's been absolutely glorious since sunrise.

After last Sunday's duvet day, I was determined to get a 20 done, and I did. I did a similar route to last time but with an extra bit...ran down to Battersea, across Chelsea Bridge, down all three miles of the King's Road, back across Putney Bridge, along the river back to Battersea, then back for another pass down the King's Road. Instead of taking the river path back to Battersea again, though, I cut through Wandsworth and went home via the common.
    I decided to push the pace a bit along the King's Road (not to MP or anything, but from slow 11+ miles to 10-10:40), had a two mile breather while I had a gel and recovered, then pushed a bit again down the river, had another 2 mile breather and then went a little faster on my second trip down the King's Road.
    After that I was pretty tired so the last five miles were a bit of a slog but I go them done. The entire run took just under 3 hours 40 which goes against convention, but I've run my best marathons after doing three or four runs of 20 miles or more, so convention can naff off.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought for a moment that was a pic of your run today  :wink:   Well done keeping your HR down and on your weekly mileage total.

I saw that about MD at the Arc, he looked shattered and said it was the hardest thing he's ever  done and he's done a lot of long ultras with his fundraising.

Double orders on the takeaway, that's smart.  :smile:

I roasted a turkey yesterday so I have heated up roast today.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - xpost.  Well done on your 20 miles today, not sure what you mean by convention re the long run?
  • Options
    Shades - Nice 10 miles. I’m also looking forward to warmer temps. Highs of 13 on Tuesday down here apparently. 

Big G - Saw the YouTuber Ben Parkes’ girlfriend ran that. As keen as I am to do ultras eventually, I also have zero interest in something with that kind of fall risk. Well done on the long run. 

Cal - Great job on the 20 miler. Is that your longest run in some time?

7 miles for me which is the furthest since Florence. Stunning conditions. ITB was there but kept itself pretty quiet too. 23 miles for the week. Zero signs of any fitness coming back but hopefully not too long now. Rest day tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    RCouture, well done. Keep at it - the fitness will come. Yeah, I saw Ben Parkes and his girlfriend were down this way for the race. 

Cal, well done. Great mileage from you too.   

Shades, well done on your run. Yes, forward planning by me for my lunch :) Very nice it was :)

It is the Cyclo cross world championships this weekend, taking place in America. It was the junior ladies yesterday and Brit Zoe Backstedt won it easily, after winning the road world champs last year. One to watch for the future, I think. The Dutch ladies got 1-2 at the elite level, with Marianne Vos winning it for the 8th time. I’ve never really watched it before but it’s an absolutely bonkers event - a lapped course with some short but steep climbs, tight corners and even about 40 steps they have to get off the bike and run up. It looked like they were full gas for the whole race. It’s the mens race today and Brit Tom Pidcock is in with a good chance. Amazing how some of these riders can go from road to off road as they’re very different skills. 
  • Options
    Shades, there is a popular idea that long runs should not exceed three hours as it takes too long to recover. But in my mind, if you are going to be doing a 4 hour plus race, then you need time on feet.

Rcouture...yeah...first 20 for a good while. So hopefully the next will be easier.

Big G...that sort of technical terrain is not for me! But I am thinking about my first ultra now...got one in mind. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    You can’t leave that hanging, Cal!!  Which one?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you know what MAF is like, it will let you carry on with no inclination of change and then one day when you're not expecting it there's a significant improvement.
    You're doing well building up the mileage

Cal - that's not a popular idea, it's complete bollocks.  A couple of elitist coaches have advised that in the past and it's often repeated by lazy runners that don't want to do longer runs.

I would so like to discuss it with any fool that advises that.   If runners are 2:30 marathon runners then of course no point in going over 3 hours makes sense.

We all have to run the same distance in a marathon and a slower runner does not take longer to recover from the race or a 20 mile training run than a faster runner.  That idea is so flawed it's laughable.

Current convention is for 5 x 20 mile runs in training, I would say less for first timers.   

But you should do the training that works for you and you're happy with.

Now, which ultra?   ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Talking of 20-milers Shades, this 12-week P&D plan (of which I am only able to do 11 weeks....) only has 1x20 and 1x21 in it (their recommended 18-week plans have more than that), with a number of 17/18s.  Unfortunately for me, the two 20+ in the plan fall on the days that I have half marathons, one of which is Bideford that I want to do well in so I can't see me wanting to do 7 after that race (I may do after Tavy 13, but still unlikely I would have thought)!  I was thinking of just moving things around a bit to get the 20 in the weekend before each race, and if tired just ease off a bit the week of the race.  Ideally I would like to get the 20s in if I can (I do need a marathon as well, which would potentially be one of them), but this will mean they will basically replace a 17/18 miler I think, but that would be fine wouldn't it?  Or should I not get too obsessed about the 20 milers and if I miss one or both, not worry too much about it?  If I am able to complete the 11 weeks more or less, even without the 20 milers, it would still be a decent block I feel, and it is not like I came into the 11 weeks without knowing that I can do the distance.  

As an aside, and I know I have only done 2 weeks of the plan, but it is keeping me honest, in terms of the mileage at least, even if I am not doing the sessions exactly as prescribed (I.E., this week I didn't do the tempo but raced a 5K instead, and today's long run had no MP in it, but had a few hills instead).  I think all the weeks have back-to-back medium runs in during the week, and I wonder if they may help as the second of the pair is on slightly tired legs?  For example, the past week it was 12 followed by 11, this coming week it is 9/14, and the week after 13/15, all with a longer run on the weekend.  Two recovery runs a week as well, plus a full rest day from running each week, and I seem to be settling into the structure okay, although as I say I will need to move things around to fit races.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-I always looked at making sure my training length didn't last as long as my planned marathon.
    Which ultra?
    Big G-Impressive running for those doing the 50 and 100.
    How did you work out your cycling and running in terms of thinking about a total number?did you base it around hours?
    So this week I've done 28m running and 2 hrs on the bike so that's about 6 hours of aerobic exercise,which takes me about 42m of running to do so I'm thinking that's about the equivalent.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you don't need to worry about the long runs as you're already marathon fit especially when it comes down to distance.

I agree the back to back medium distance runs will be the most beneficial to your training.

Ian - I know you're cycling because of your injury but nothing will really replace running. 

Usual equivalent in effort is one mile running equals 4 miles cycling.
  • Options
    Big G - I adapt plans round my races to make sure I get the important runs in alongside my races.  Don’t think I’d fancy tagging 7 miles into a half marathon.  I do fancy the arc races but maybe not in Feb! The terrain is brutal and need to do a couple of 100s before I even consider entering so it’s a very long shot.

Cal looking forward to hearing your ultra plans! Did you get off at Broxbourne yesterday? Used to live there (mum still does) also home of the pub with the infamous lock ins we talked about.  I forgot to warn you about the climb on the course, a few of my friends were marshalling yesterday. Great effort on the 20 today.

Rcouture well done on the 7, I enjoy watching Ben and Sarah’s YouTube vids, especially as feature Centurion events.  Ben’s one for CW50 which I ran last year resonated well with me, he was injured and struggled and a phase he kept using ‘doing better than I was yesterday’ rang true.  Steven Cousins film my run has a good video for this weekends event.

shades well done on the 50 for the week, how confident you feeling about the marathon cut off at DD? 

ian well done on the running and cross training this week! 

Westmill parkrun in 27.40ish which happy with as wasn’t pushing too much and did set up before, followed by tea and sausage bap in the cafe.  I then went to start the car and got a flat battery! Had to get a mate pick me up go but a battery then get someone to change it over thankfully car started so fingers crossed should be okay.  9 miles this afternoo, nice and sunny too but couldn’t find the sunglasses. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - many years ago I did a couple of ultras on the Cornwall coastal path, 35 milers I think and they were brutal. 

Re DD prep, far too early to tell, we do have 4 months.   😲😱 It will depend on my pre DD races, I've lined up a few.  Thanks for asking 😊
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I didn’t have a plan as such with my cycling. With the more focussed running plan I’m doing currently, my cycling has dropped off, and I’m just doing easy rides when I think my legs would benefit from a shake out. Previously I had an idea of around 45-60mins for a short ride and 2hrs ish for a longer ride, and I was doing occasional (very) hard races too. But I had no plan really. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I’ve just watched that Film My Run guide. I don’t actually think I could do it, in terms of my balance and poor footing, and being pretty scared I reckon, let alone the distance/physical side of it. Basically on the cliff edge, scrambling up a very narrow ‘path’ (loose sense of the word) at midnight, with no hand rail, 50 miles into the race when you’re already knackered?  No thanks!!  The film made it look scary, and that was nice weather in the video; imagine that in the night time, with a head torch, trying to find the actual path as it’s not really clear, in the driving wind/rain. Awful!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thanks,I'm not joining zwift again as I don't want to get sucked in to racing,I'm trying to use it for the same effort as my easy runs,so while my legs aren't getting practise,aerobically my heart doesn't know the difference.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that’s basically what I was doing as well. I do think it helps me. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - so what does your P & D plan have in store for you this week?   I think it might be too breezy for your race tomorrow evening.

8 miles this morning, blustery but thankfully no frost, much better conditions, so my legs were happy and I had a good run despite feeling quite tired when I got up.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, this is the plan this week. If I do the race tomorrow I’ll have to move things around, and I haven’t yet decided what to do about the Sunday, with the Half and planned mileage. But it’ll be there or there about in terms of the weekly mileage, all being well. 

Monday is rest/cross training in the plan and I’ve just done an easy 45mins on Zwift to turn the legs over. 

Yes, it looks breezy tomorrow. They allow entries up until 10:30am tomorrow so I’ll decide in the morning. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the forecast here is for westerly wind, don't know if that might be a cross wind for your race which wouldn't be so damaging.    It's always a bit windy in Exmouth, or it has when I've been there.

Your half marathon on Sunday would be equivalent in effort to a 16/17 mile training run so it's just whether you want to top up the mileage which you could easily do on the recovery runs.

This plan must be a bit tricky timewise for those working during the week with 2 runs in double figures.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding P&D I am not sure which plan is the most popular.   I have jumped into the 55-70 mile one, just because I felt the extra mileage would be beneficial to me in order to push myself a bit more.  I get the feeling the 'up to 55'-mile plans might be the most popular, but maybe that's just because of the groups I follow.  Maybe if I followed the 2:30-runners I'd find they do do the 85 mile plan or 100 mile plan - I don't know.  Anyway, the 'up to 55' plan looks like it mainly has two rest days a week, and from a quick scan through, just the one medium long midweek run, which is more doable I suppose.  But yes, I am very lucky that I am flexible with my time, although I am still busy with work-type stuff myself.

Yes, the Saturday recovery runs I have done 6 miles the last two weeks, as that includes parkrun.  As you say, I could easily do 6 or 7 those days if I wanted, no problem.  Probably on the Sunday I may do a mile or two warmup before the race if I am there in plenty of time, but I very rarely do more than about half a mile after a race, so I would have to force myself to carry on a bit afterwards, which well may not happen!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I just looked my 5-mile PB, which is from 2018.  That was also in Exmouth with a couple of climbs, but I did 34:31 that day.  Obviously I do not do many 5 mile races, but I went through 5-miles in just under 32mins at that 10K I did (admittedly I was really hanging on by this point!) so that PB certainly needs some adjustment!  When I checked McMillan it suggested about 31-mins based on that 5K I just did, but it will depend on the weather a lot.  Also the course is 2xout-and-backs (so 3 u-turns), which isn't totally ideal, but it is what it is.  I will decide tomorrow what to do.  There aren't many 5-milers around but there is another one in March of the same race series, so there is still a possibility, even if I don't do tomorrow's event.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - when I see folk discussing their P & D plans, most seem to have opted for the 55-70 one, but that just might be where I see it being mentioned/discussed.

We're lucky we're not confined to training around our working hours so life is more flexible and training is too.

Re Sunday, if the finish is in the same place you'll be in a field, I'd suggest you go and look for a nice cake to purchase.

My 5 mile PB is from Exmouth what used to be called the Fulford Five and used to be 2 laps (I think) going off the seafront and up a slope, doing a loop before coming back down to the seafront.  It's the only 5 mile race I've ever done, did it twice, 2 PB's    :)

Based on your stats you should do a great PB even if it was windy.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles today, milder and breezy in places.    Did a different route today allowing me to finish away from the street lights.   Won't be doing that route again unless I'm out at 5 in the morning as too much traffic to make run enjoyable.

Cal - we're all still waiting to hear which ultra you are considering, you left us hanging... ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-The shape you are in at the minute you are capable of cracking all your PB's.
    Just get to the start line and they are yours.
    First day back in work went poorly,emptying a box and my back has gone,it used to happen many years ago,but I've managed it recently,in agony all last night,still rough today do no running yet again.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - sorry to hear that about your back, so painful.   You're not having much luck lately.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, my PB is from Fulfords 5 also, and I have also done it twice (my only 5-mile races).  That slope up the 2nd time was tough, I seem to recall, but possibly more of an indication that I had overcooked it earlier on in the race!  That one has been a Club Champs race on occasion.

Ian, I do believe I can get PBs at all distances, so that is something that is on my mind as well.  Sorry to hear about your back :( They can be very painful :(

Just 5-miles this morning, nice and easy, as I have entered the race tonight.  It is not perfect conditions, but it doesn't look like it's going to be horrendous so I thought I would give it a go.  The March race may be worse conditions anyway, I suppose. If the wind picks, I will just try my best :) 

In other news, I got a place in Seville!  Flights were a bit more than I'd ideally like to pay and I did waver a little bit, but in the end I pressed the "**** it" button.  Hotel was reasonable, but I booked that some time ago.  Airport parking sorted so just need to find insurance now.  Just like the old days!  Another thing that made me waver is that OH can't get the time off at this short notice so I am going on my own, which is a shame.  I do know a handful of runners that are going as well, and I have made contact with one of them, so all being well I will catch up with them for a meal etc.  If not though, no real issue, as I've done plenty of events on my own in the past.  It is a shame for OH though as she would have liked to have come, but we decided for her to not book the time off as we didn't know if I'd get a place in the race or not.  Now I just hope there are no changes to restrictions of races etc.  I did check with a couple of people before booking who are going and they hadn't heard rumours of any potential race cancelations, so fingers crossed.