Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options

Sharkie it sounds like you had a good day although 7 miles up and down hills sounds like a tough workout too!

Good running form ceal and Mike  image

It was very warm for racing, especially 'out of the blue' ... I walk / ran this morning and enjoyed the sunshine, the only downside was I had to keep cass on the lead as there were a couple of lads on trail bikes in the woods and she wanted to join them!!  We then went to the golf club to watch Mike 'putt out' at the end of his captain's year. it was lovely relaxing in the sun  image

take care xx

• Options

Maggie glad you enjoyed the sunshine too. It makes such a difference to me. I honestly hardly noticed the seven miles - almost skipped along like a real girlie!

No gloves! No jacket! Just a long sleeved merino top (bright Serpie scarlet fashion fans, with a small zip and turn over collar) and, hurrah, the skinny jeans that used to be too tight...

And my feet warm, comfortable and pain free in racing flats and woolly socks!

• Options

I took my jacket off and wore a short sleeved top and 3/4 length legs and even though more than half is still walking I stayed warm!

sharkie great image of you skipping along in red with skinny jeans which were not too tight image

• Options

sharkie & Maggie - really did feel spring-like today,didn't it? I've been out and about a lot of the day enjoying it.

Empty, sorry to hear about the black hole, and hope this morning's run helped lift your spirits a bit.

ceal, your son will be getting married on my s-i-l's birthday. It's the day after Hayden's too, and new baby is also due in September! Really good run from you again.

Pammie, I notice that you are back to running at a really good pace.

Went out before breakfast this morning, which I always find hard, and struggled rouns 8 slow miles.
    Split Summary
    ====
    Lap 1 - 1 miles - 11:18 - 131bpm avge  - 175bpm max
    Lap 2 - 1 miles - 11:01 - 137bpm avge  - 146bpm max
    Lap 3 - 1 miles - 11:02 - 140bpm avge  - 150bpm max
    Lap 4 - 1 miles - 10:50 - 147bpm avge  - 156bpm max
    Lap 5 - 1 miles - 11:20 - 144bpm avge  - 150bpm max
    Lap 6 - 1 miles - 10:51 - 145bpm avge  - 153bpm max
    Lap 7 - 1 miles - 10:57 - 150bpm avge  - 156bpm max
    Lap 8 - 1 miles - 10:49 - 150bpm avge  - 155bpm max
    Lap 9 - 0.14 miles - 01:30 - 147bpm avge  - 149bpm max

We heard the air ambulance land again, so went back out to see what was afoot. Luckily nothing too serious, and it took off again without a passenger.

Then went out AGAIN with daughter & grandson, who was full of beans and wanting to race. He mastered rolling down the hill too, which he found great fun! 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Sharkie - It was a warm day today i'm not surprised people struggled and thats before you add any hills. Thats the trouble with the first real warm day of the year no time to acclimatise
    Well done to Mr S similar time to last year which is pretty darn good considering he'ss not been too well recently and doing more shorter stuff. Hope Mr S's foot is ok yuk indeed know what thats like.

well done to the rest of your lot.

I'm also not surprised the winner was from Africa i suspected that when reading your post on the last page

Ceal/Empty - good runs from you both

Maggie - glad your day was good bless Cass wanting to join the lads

Diana - nice long run from you glad the air ambulance visit was nothing serious

Did get out for second run much better than this morning, felt more fluid. It was cooler mind you. Think i got caught out this morning i went out over dressed

4.04 miles
    37:29
    9:17 pace
    150 avg HR
    78% whr

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    9:41 140 152
    9:01 151 155
    9:19 154 162
    9:03 155 160
    0:23 157 157

• Options

JJ your race report makes me think sharkie had the better end of the deal, supporting in pleasant sunshine rather than racing in the 'heat'.

Mike will clearly go to any lengths for a parking place as he has previously served about 5 years as treasurer!!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Lovely day for supporting, marshalling and doing baggage. I now have an new yellow addida jacket for running. There was a bad accident on the M1 on the way home just after the M25 junction and we got stuck in traffice for at least half an hour or more.
  • Options

good evening

JJ
    sounds a real toughie = ou did well to find some competition to help you round
    And sunny as well!!!

Sharkie
    nice to hear sprinters suffering over the long distanceimage!! heh heh heh

Empty
    sounded like a nice run this am in perfect conditions - good going.
    like the baby elephant feet!!

Ceal
    that was a hard session - to match some of the others this week. Its strange howa race pace over a much longer distnce can prove so taxing in training over a much shorter distance

Diana
    some good runs from you recently - very consistent performances

Pammie
    double eh??!! Pleased it got better

Graham
    nice to see a cunning plan being executed so well

aws
    negative split running is fine - hope you enjoyed your cut back week - it gets tougher now!!

Impey
    the mind as they say boggles!!
    i always have some spare kit in the boot of th ecar just in case.......

Tracey
    its the least you deserve for  a full day

Maggie
    ooohh stripping offimage!1

• Options

unfortunately I did resist the tempation to run yesterday though 6 hours of heavy gardening, 2 hours of g'childing and then a late night farewell party for a friend going off to the USA for 3 years did little to prepare me for a LSR today - it was certainly slow anyway

12.25 miles doen in 1:50:10 on stiff back, legs, knees and thick head (9m/m) and avHR 133 (68%WHR) and a max of only 146 showed how difficult it was to raise any effort on a beautiful day when I ran in short sleeved techie tee

01m 8:33 hr119
    02m 9:31 hr134
    03m 9:13 hr`34
    04m 8:59 hr131
    05m 9:10 hr133
    06m 8:41 hr133
    07m 8:47 hr133
    08m 8:41 hr133
    09m 9:30 hr 138 on grass
    10m 8:46 hr136
    11m 9:24 hr140 Hipps Hill
    12m 9:01 hr134 about done in

family day ensued with more walks to the park. Persuaded Luke to take his first unaided steps this afternoon - he is obviously going to be a track starimage!!

Makes 49,9 miles for the week - damn!!!!  Needed some quantitive easing........................

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Thinking of jumping back into back when kids have gone a school. Not had much sleep the last 2 nights.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning all,

JJ
    tough race. But why did you enter when you say "it's a race I dislike intensely"image???? Or don't I ask! However, the hills will have made your legs stronger, but I am sure there are perhaps less painful ways of achieving the same result. But that all said well done for mastering the course in fine form and fettle! I wonder if the Hastings runner was sharkie's friend Jo. She finished about 5 mins after you.

TS
    You sound as if you had a very busy weekend again!!! 12 miles ran yesterday after heavy digging must have been hard to say the least. 50 miles for the week too. I can understand the higher mileage ran by you because I expect you have to grab running time when you can as so often you are out on the road heading to and from meetings. I think races must be run purely on adrenaline!!!!

Maggie
    I am impressed with the number of years that Mike has had the honour of  a free car parking space at the golf club.

Tracey
    your new running top sounds very nice, and well deserved too. I hope you manage to catch up on some sleep today.

I have decided not to run today, legs feel absolutely fine, but I feel tired, partly due to waking early along with Stewart who is on Indian time still. Also I want to make sure that I recover for the gym work tomorrow followed by another speed endurance track session on Wednesday. I will take the opportunity of doing some gardening, but not of the heavy digging variety.

We are virus free now. It was a virus, we googled the unidentified A360 Anti-Virus software that had attached itself to our system. There were several software's out there to get rid of it. Norton wanted £70 for the privilege. We tried the free route first and it worked.  

I was very good, I didn't send any emails at all during the time we were infected, in case I passed it on. I tell a lie, I did send one. But I wasn't too bothered if I infected this particular person's software!!!!image

• Options

Good morning

Now, now, Ceal. Naughty, naughty!image

PTP2 Day 29

5.1M; 1:04:34; 12:40/M; hr135; m143; slow
    13:00 hr134 m142
    12:44 hr134 m142
    12:51 hr136 m140
    12:44 hr136 m140
    12:15 hr136 m142

That was slow. Started out with target hr134 and thought it would be good to ease it up a bit for the second half, so I then aimed at hr135. It looks as though I overshot it. Funny pattern of maxes.

al

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

aws - well done. Was it a shorts and vest morning?

I was just reading the feed back from Silverstone. Some runners can be horrible moaning that marshalls don't know where everything is. The runners get a instruction magazine were everthing is we don't. Some of our club mates took safety pins and we help out lots of runners with them. Even help runners put there race chip on.

• Options

good morning

aws
    aim was off a bit then???
    there is very little difference between your av and max HRs so you were going along quite nicely - no major stress on the systems

Ceal
    now the firm that proivided your anti virus software wanted £70 to get rid of a virus that had got through its software????!!!
    there seems to be something amiss with that statement!

Thank you for the upgrade but it was less than 50 miles - not that I was aiming for that figure - it just came out of the statistics.
    This is all very much base aerobic conditioning so whilst the mileage load is quite large the impact is not so great

Ventured out in shorts and short sleeved techie this am - bit of a mistake as the wind was quite chill - for a recovery run on tired legs.
    6.33 miles done in 54:30 (8:36m/m) and avHR131 with a max of only 144 so the average and the range is getting better

1m 8:38 hr117 nice level /down southern softie startimage
    2m 9:14 hr132 uphill image
    3m 7:29 hr131 *
    4m 8:58 hr135
    5m 8:42 hr134
    6m 8:40 hr137
    .33 2:46 hr133

* not sure what happened here as the distance seemed ok but there was no increase in effort on a nice flat stretch around the Stray.
    When every mile is like that I will be half way satisfied!

• Options

Tracey
    you are quite right to have a moan at runners who do not read instructions

Mind sometimes a tired mind can do strange things. At the end of the BM the organisers even had people organised to take off the chips from one's shoe. I put the wrong foot up image!!!

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

TS - I hope the people that asked for their bag back to put something in or out of it don't think they can do that at FLM lol.

• Options

Tracey, hope you got back to bed for a while and caught up on some sleep. I can forgive runners for not reasding their instructions, but not for failing to be pleasant to marshalls who are giving up their time to ensure the event can happen.

TS, I've been like you, unable to even present the right ankle for assistance. I seem to remember I was unable to lift either foot at the end of FLM, even if I could remember which one!

Glad Stewart is safely back, ceal. Enjoy your nrd.

Lovely Spring sunshine down here, and relatively mild, which is very handy as we're having our windows replaced. I'm hoping they can do my room on Wednesday, when I'm working away.

Fartlek advertised for the club run tonight - will it be the lamp-post challenge again?

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Diana - could not get back to sleep. Eyes feel like sh!t. Going to go for a little run to wake myself up soon.

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

JJ - Blimey, from your point of view that sounded more like the Battle of Hastings, mentally if not physically! At least you had the satisfaction of beating the young lady.

ceal - Hard session yesterday but successfully accomplished. If you can run a half-marathon at that pace I'm surprised you can resist the temptation to do one now and again but I guess you've been there, done that, and have other priorities.

Empty - I'm really pleased to hear you enjoyed your run.

sharkie - You had a good day in the sunshine and I'd say Mr S did pretty well considering. The winning time is very impressive.

Diana - Well done for doing 8 miles before breakfast. That's dedication.

Tracey - You had a lovely day for your marshalling duties. There'll always be the occasional ungrateful runner, as in all walks of life. Hope you manage to catch up on your sleep a bit...

TS - Sounds like you've been very busy but still got a couple of good runs in.

Pammie - Two nice runs from you too. Well done for doing your longest one for a while.

Regards to anyone I've missed.

I did a steady 5.6 yesterday in warm sunshine (yes, even up here) to bring my weekly total to 18 miles. That's a couple short of my current target but if all goes to plan I should make that up this week, starting with a club run this evening - my first for a while for various reasons.

• Options

Afternoon all  image

I have been out for another short session today in the sunshine, wore short sleeves and 3/4 legs again  image

Graham I hope you manage your mileage this week.

• Options

Tracey - shorts and double top; it was 5ºC. I don't do vest until it gets to 15º. I'm the original Southern Softie.

al

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Maggie - Cheers. Isn't it nice running in warmer weather again? Although the sun's disappeared here today.

aws - I might have lived up here since the age of 18 but I'm still a Southern Softie too at heart...

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

5 miles this afternoon. No HR monitor because Bernard used mine and now I don't know where it is.

• Options

Nice steady 5 miles, Tracey.

Hope you achieve your mileage target this week, Graham - only just mised it last week, so you're still doing well.

Glad you got out again, Maggie.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

JJ - sorry to hear about yesterday sounded horrendous esp when you combine hills with heat

Tracey - Well done for yesterday as Graham says they'll always be some who are ungrateful

Graham - Well done too for getting out don't worry about falling short its a new week begin again

Ran this morning another early one

3.72 miles
    37:09
    9:59 pace
    144 avg HR
    73% whr

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    10:04 135 148
    9:55 143 148
    10:08 151 158
    7:01 148 153

bit of a struggle recent blister which was fine yesterday was a bit sore today so legs were a bit tense. Managed to get some blister plasters so hopefully all will be ok tomorrow

Sports massage this afternoon. with S. Didn't know what to expect as i haven't had a whole legs massage since January, also wondered how calf would react

legs were fine shins a bit tight , calf was fantastic S was really impressed

Sadly though my regular lady is leaving i'm sad she is going but of course happy for her and wish her sucess in her future.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Where is everyone tonight?

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello

Certainly quite i know a lot of peeps had trouble with fetch but its been eeriely (sp!) quiet. I just spent the last hour watching Law & Order - UK
  • Options

Hi Tracey and Pammie,

Would have been on earlier but lost all my post in a flash so will have to re-write image

Tracey,
    Nice reward for your marshalling work.  A nice new yellow topimage

Pammie,

May that blister discomfort soon disappear though it hasn't stopped your training entirely !

JJ,

I remember you saying how hard a battle the Hastings half was a couple of years or so ago. Reading your report mile by mile made me understand how it must have felt for you.  Still,  you finished in a fully respected time. Good on yer ! No way I could master that by the sound of it.

Ceal,

I sometimes wonder if Norton Anti-virus works well enough.  There was a Trojan bug on my laptop some weeks ago and I couldn't get rid of it.  But when the mains adaptor went u/s leaving the laptop redundant for over a week the bug seemed to have disappeared once a new adaptor replaced the old one and laptop rebooted.  Then again without Norton it might have been a lot worse!
    Your question several days ago, sorry I didn't respond when I should have.  No,  I don't use any particular training schedule I prefer not to tie myself down to one as I couldn't manage to follow it properly.  Prefer to stick to my own mix of lsrs, intervals, tempo runs per week.  I know that hasn't always happened but thats the intention.

TS,
    Brilliant 12 miles long 'un especially considering the hard garden activity previous day.  And in your busy working life you don't always get the opportunity to do as many long runs as you'd like,  I'd wager !!

Diana,
    How did the fartlek workout go?   I like idea of fartlek, must try to include in training too.
    On the spare clothing gear I shall ensure that my carboot has all I need for any weather contingency in future image

Graham,
    You are close to regular 20 miles a week now. Presumably you will go to more, say 25 next.  But great idea to make weekly workout increments gradually.

Sharkie,
    Hard luck for Guy, though he did well considering things.  He sure has a lot of  potential for some great race results to come his way.