Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

OOOOOO that sounds like another brilliantly mad thread plan.

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

ATM - has the mobiles list gone out or are you waiting on stragglers and will send next week?

I now have a WHOLE week at home until a little jaunt to paris for a wee run around the city.  Bliss.  Now to survive running with RR, TJB and IM2 this afternoon...hmm...

• Options
    RS I'm following you south of the river, have to take my antihistamines and passport. I am your sheep this arvo.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

well, at least we'll have a medical team on board when I crap out.  NOTE: we are staying north of the river, especially as the sun's out.  It'll be tourist mayhem on the south side (around westminster won't be great either but it's over pretty quickly). image

• Options
    Any other threaders out there in greater London want to come for a lil jog with us today?
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    I am your sheep this arvo.

You have *no* idea what you're saying, have you?

• Options

ATM..   if you haven't already done so, you can add my number to the mobile list

• Options
    *packs elastic bandages, freeze spray, morphine and a folding stretcher into backpack* Don't worry RS, we'll get you round image .

Clag - that's pretty much spot on. You should be running your LSR at least a minute a mile slower than race pace. On the day, you'll have fresh legs and be full of adrenaline. Makes all the difference. Look up the Mcmillan pace calculator online and try plugging in your recent race times - you might be surprised at what it suggests for your potential marathon time.
  • Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    I am your sheep this arvo.

You have *no* idea what you're saying, have you?

shhhhh, mawh hawh haaaa....

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

oh and while i'm making up for being awol all week...OVER 1/4 of a million views people!!!

• Options
    Minus 8 here, at 4000 feet. Brrrrr.
  • Options

That was awesome PC - had to do a bit of googling, but I think I've got them all. Must be Iain's or TD's turn tomorrow (or anyone else who wants to join in) - whoever it is has a tough act to follow.

I'll not stick my answers up yet in case anyone else is having a go

Think the marathon lot are a day behind as they must be counting Sunday as Day 1.

DV - great idea.

• Options
    YM, I knew exactly what was saying to a Kiwi girl but trust the welsh girl to go and lower the tone! :/
  • Options

People...  you have one week left to get your marathon hair cut, if you haven't already done so..   book early to avoid disappointment...   

TD..    is Pasta Papa's booked for our group..??

I found the 12 Days of Xmas video...   happy memories...  it's been a good one this year...  really looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible...  image

• Options

So looks like the weather for Paris is supposed to be ok on the day.    However, when looking at an extended forecast, I always look at the day before and the day after as I figure things could shift a day in either direction.   Its rain predicted for the 8th, and SLEET predicted for the 6th.  Sleet????  Really?  I can't imagine anything worse than running in sleet.   I've run in rain, hail, snow, wind, and excessive heat.   Sleet would be new.   Not a good 'new' either. 

On another topic, I've had shoulder pain for the past 2-3 weeks.   Figured it was a muscle ache and would go away.   But it hasn't.  And now for the past week, my thumb tip has been numb.   Doing a google search (my favorite doctor) it seems it's some sort of pinched nerve either in the shoulder or back.   It's sore all day long, but goes away after a mile or 2 of running.   Even on my 19-miler, it gave me no issues after mile 2.   So I'm going to run with it.   From what I can tell, usual treatments are time and anti-inflammatories.  In most cases that works, if not, then surgery.  So I'm just going to wait this out and hope it's the same on race day.

• Options

http://paris.lachainemeteo.com/meteo-france/ville/previsions-meteo-paris-3903-9.php

I've got a more optomistic weather prediction albeit it's not tropical by any means.  It's going to be pigging freezing as we stand in the pens, a little bit windy with cloud but NO rain.

Anyone got any idea if I can buy a new rubber wrist strap for my Garmin 405?  I've visited the official site and I seem only to be able to buy the horrid black velco one. 

• Options

Weather forecast is looking good for next sunday- i.e. not too hot!! (although the forecast i last saw was for snow and sleet two days before so that had better stay away)

My next run is planned for Sunday - what distance should i be running do you think?  This week i've done 7 miles on monday, 3 on weds and 4 yesterday.

Also, I liked the email of the day from the marathon people:

Your medical certificate: you will need to furnish it when yougo to pick up your number.

Now how to furnish a medical certificate?!

• Options

This is what I've been using...
    http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Paris-weather/Ile-de-France/FR.aspx

Last night it had sleet for the 6th, now thats changed to sunny.   image   Maybe we'll get tropical after all.  

• Options

Rick..  you must be looking at the wrong Paris, or the wrong France...

I ordered us sunshine and warmth....    bring your shades and factor 50....  image

No rain, sleet or snow next weekend...   just happy smiles...

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

EE3 - take a look at this.  If you like, I can get it and bring it with me. If I give it to you at Pasta Papa's there will still be plenty time ot install it.  Pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Replacement-Band-Black-Forerunner/dp/B0029Z3RZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364558543&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+405+strap

• Options

DV - the reports I've seen have actually all said sunny for the 7th.   It's just the days before and after the 7th which have always looked a bit iffy.    Although theres really no point in looking, is there?  We'll run in whatever nature brings.   Aside from knowing how to get dressed the morning of the race, I should just stop checking it.  image

• Options

I'm looking for run to get in before the summer, following the loss of last weeks 100 miler..  so..  I found a 24 hour challenge on the weekend of 25th/26th May..   it's laps of a 6.6 mile route...  see how far you can go in 24 hours.   Should be a bit of fun and easy to do logistically as there is only one aid station so suplies can be left safely.

And..  more importantly..  no mud and hopefully some sunshine.!

• Options

* * * *  BREAKING NEWS * * * *

Just found Belgian chocolate chip HCBs in Paris ..... on special offer in M&S.  I did not succumb.  Did buy the luxury ones though .... 

What is the big, round, yellow thing in the sky today?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    DV - I don't really think that anything should be done in my honour but I would encourage people to celebrate wildly as they are crossing the line, in whichever manner they prefer, and I will endeavour to collate the magic moments into a single video.
  • Options

Fat Boy Slim - loaded up now.... image

Wasted the morning in French class with that large yellow thing in the sky, now it's dark out there and by the time I get kitted up it will be peeing down.  oh well.

day off tomorrow and then the last LSR on Sunday - yeah.......nerves are kicking in.

Tomorrow list :  cut toenails, paint leftover toenails, find bands to tie back hair, don't need cut, look at weather and pack accordingly, unpack and repack, eat lots....sleep (i hope) lots.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hey DV - how about reporting the link to the 12 days of Xmas.

That way, we can remind ourselves that we are not only mad in tapir time.

Also, I can giggle like a schoolboy at Mrs DV singing "Four King" image
  • Options
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    DV - I don't really think that anything should be done in my honour but I would encourage people to celebrate wildly as they are crossing the line, in whichever manner they prefer, and I will endeavour to collate the magic moments into a single video.

Oh..  I don't know..   you had a whole Christmas song/video and some cracking images made by Weedy....   I think if everyone does a big O above their heads it will be a suitable tribute to the great Orbot...  image