Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    The sun has already done an exit.

I had an amusing email from my daughter about something my middle g daughter (11 yrs) was heard to say, it went like this----

I heard Scarlet boasting about the meal we had at your house the other week, she said "we had soup to start and we weren't even in a restaurant"!
  • Options

good morning

Ceal
    image at Scarlett
    Enjoy your trip tomorrow- wrap up warm!!

I think NZC was going across the ditch to Melbourne for a week or so.

No sun here - just more bloomin' cold and the wind has incresed a touch which makes it really nice and freshimage

Hip flexors and glutes still a bit stiff form teh battering on Sunday/Monday so running 8.15 miles this morning in 70:17 (8:38m/m) was a bit of a chore

1m 8:47
    2m 8:47 hard toget going
    3m 8:45
    4m 8:20
    5m 8:47
    6m 8:33
    7m 8:41 Hipps Hill
    8m 8:25 try to raise pace
    .15 1:11

OK - miles done but hard work

You will note the absence of HR data - not a peep this morning and it was too cold to disrobe and readjust the contacts!!!!!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS

A quickie between rebounding and ab work. That was ok for stiff and tired legs. I will give you a B for that!
  • Options

Ceal
    you are too kind - C+ is more accurate.
    I have visions of you bouncing on trampette with ipad in handimage

Talking of spring and Mick6's attempts to have it start before us in Canada - I did see some daffodils in flower this morning - they were poking out of 6" of snow!!!!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS

Poor daffs. Ours are preferring to stay in bud!

The ab workout is on my ipad. I have to concentrate all the time on the trampett!

I haven't posted here on my regular pc for about 8 weeks, we are awaiting a new desk and meantime the pc is virtually on the floor and this makes any work on there almost impossible for me. Therefore, I am not experiencing the tiny font that you guys are. It is always small on the ipad but of course I can pull the page and make the font larger, but I tend not to do that very much.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ

Soup spoons, of course.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

I put in some "very early" daffodil bulbs last year, and they are gratifyingly in flower. They were already in flower before the most recent snowfall, and they have emerged unscathed as the snow has gradually disappeared.

Ceal - I hope to see g'daughter next week, but am still waiting to hear from daughter. I'm not staying with her this time, I'm staying with Middle Son in the possibly less salubrious SE 5 part of London. I am certainly hoping for a flattish run, but there's no park nearby except a small one called Burgess Park. A LSR could take me to the river and part of the way along it, but it may not be a good area to run in at all.

And shall not be going to the Manet exhibition, - all bookable tickets had gone, and apparently the queue for the non-bookables is anything from 40 minutes to a hour, which I really don't fancy in this cold.

Lovely pic from Aws.

7 and a bit miles today, including another 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 pyramid session in my new shoes, which seem very satisfactory. Still beastly cold, but at least there was some sunshine (which seems to have gone now)

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

TS,
    8 miles is always good but without HR data, hard to say how good. What is your mileage target for this week and March ?

Definitely making progress on Spring here, not in shorts yet but we are getting close. I even have daff shoots popping up over my septic system but I guess that is cheating.

A good run for me today. After a few km of warmup I picked up the pace and held it at a relatively comfortable pace and then picked it up another notch which felt very good.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

09:27 AM Thursday, March 28, 2013

Gym10.6k, 2c, cloud, windy, tempo run, felt strong with more in the tank.

Run tagged as Tempo

Total Run Duration = 55:55,  Run Length = 10.6 Kms or 6.6 Miles

Selected Lap Detail

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)

04     05:20     1.0        0.6      05:20      08:36     73.4%     79.0%       86.0        1.09

05     05:01     1.0        0.6      05:01      08:05     76.9%     79.0%       86.0        1.16

06     05:02     1.0        0.6      05:02      08:07     79.7%     82.5%       87.0        1.14

07     05:07     1.0        0.6      05:07      08:14     81.8%     83.2%       87.0        1.12

08     04:58     1.0        0.6      04:58      08:01     83.2%     85.3%       88.0        1.14

09     04:56     1.0        0.6      04:56      07:57     83.2%     83.9%       87.0        1.16

10     04:48     1.0        0.6      04:48      07:44     84.6%     86.0%       87.0        1.20

11     02:55     0.6        0.4      04:38      07:27     86.0%     88.1%       88.0        1.23

Totals and averages for selected Laps

Lap  Duration     Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR      MWHR    Cadence  Slength(m)

08     38:12      07.6      04.7      05:00     08:03      80.9%      88.1%       87.0        1.15

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Aws,
    I hope you shut the gate after you painted that picture

• Options

Columba
    another good mileage effort there - you are knocking them out very consistently nowadays.
    Good to hear the daffs are surviving - they must be tougher than they look!!

JJ
    we have had a bunch of daffs in the porch (unheated!!) for a month now and they have held their bloom very well indeed. Saves me having to keep buy flowers for Mrs TS!!
    Not so much a recovery run as a medium LSR if there is such a thing -just time on the feet and not too much effort expended I hope!!

Mick6
    You ceretainly picked up the pace there over the last couple of K's - and gave your HR a good going over!!

This week should be my first 40+ miles which is just about on target and the month should be about 130+ miles which is just below target - I blame the weatherimage

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

JJ,
    Thanks for the comment and yes it was at LTT or slightly above, but my target race is 10k so it felt appropriate. I finished feeling there was more in the tank so very positive.
    This last couple of weeks I have begun to feel some speed coming back into my legs. At the end of last year as I came out of my achilles problem I had no speed.
    In the 13 weeks since I have done about 450 miles with speed work being added over the last few weeks. Your estimate of 300 miles may be a bit light judging on my experience.
    Good to hear that RW are trying to fix stuff and this site is very poor with very easy to reproduce problems ie no excuse.

TS,
    I am not surprised that your legs are feeling tired. It took me a few weeks at 40+ before it felt comfortable and I could mix in the speed work. It will be interesting to see how they react to the long long runs.

Mick

• Options

Good morning

6.05M; 1:18:48.5; 13:01/M; 0.5°C

Still, cold and dry, except for a slight flurry of minute snow specks that lasted all of 5 minutes.

Mick6 - I (nearly) always paint gates open as they are more inviting open than closed. I don't actually open them except to go through, although sometimes I have to climb over, hinge end of courseimage.

al

• Options

good morning

aws
    so close to sub 13image

JJ
    I'll have you know I buy flowers regularly - once a year!!!
    4 miles is good - and yes stay on the flatter ground for a while it helps getting the rhythmn back when one is not gsping for breath so much!!

It was a good Friday for intervals (slight pun intended) cold, dry and sunny with a lighter breeze than before

1.20 mile warm up and then mile intervals with 400m jog ercovery

1m 7:03 should have been quicker but two wet areas turned out to be ice!!!
    2m 6:56
    3m 6:59

1.2 miles home in 10 minutes

NO bl**dy HR data again. Totally lost faith with GArmin - stiff email to be sent.

Pity about first interval - two corners of the path had what looked like a large wet patch from snow melt - turned out to be sheet ice which was a bit of a problem when hitting it at some speed!!!

satisified with those times on teh back of a good week - a definite B for effort on the report

• Options

B+ OKimage

Forgot to say I was back in my Adizeros this morning. My legs felt much better running in them even if frostbite in the toes could have been a problem.

I have not tried out my new Adizero Aces 4 yet - however they are a disappointing  52 grammes heavier than my old ones at 221 grammes and have "added features" in the soles. Why can't manufacturer's just leave a great design aloneimage??!!

• Options

aws
    looks like the bus came along againimage

• Options

this is a very good read 80's running and now particularly for those of us who ran in the '80s!!!

• Options
    Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭

Morning all
     TS-Excellent mile reps A+ for them,Your trainging seems to be going so well long may it continue.

Good article there,some good points.Not being a expert but there are a lot of athletes doing high mileage but i guess just not as talented.

Mick6 --Cracking training you are doing,looks good for your races to come.

Ceal- My shoulder seems to be easing a bit thanks,hope your injury clears up prontoish (is that another word ive made up)

Columba-Decent pyramid training there i think they are real good workouts.

JJ-With you at the moment as i am in the shamble club as well,

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Did 10 miles this afternoon on 1:44:25

Average pace 10:26

10:57

10:28

10:24

10:26

10:35

10:17

10:20

10:21

10:21

10:12
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

TS, interesting article. I remember you saying you used to run a bit with Charlie Spedding? Someone at my club was commenting on how few young runners you see at local senior races compared to the over 30s and the likes of us real old geezers, although the events for under-16s etc seem to be well-supported. Great mile intervals by the way - it's all coming along nicely.

busbar, pleased the injury's improving.

I did the Elswick Good Friday Relays this morning, for the fourth year in a row. I did 14:00 for the 2.2 miles so an average of 6:21 m/m. That's about the same as a couple of years ago so no complaints. It was hot and sunny that day, which must have helped compared to the cold conditions today. Still balmy compared to cross-country last Saturday though!

It's the North Tyneside 10K on Sunday so I'll see what sort of 10K form I'm in.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Graham - speedy young manimage
  • Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Tracey, thanks. Can't run nearly as far as you though. It'd kill me image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Graham - you just run slower to run further image
  • Options

Sorry to hear about your club member, Tracey. Very steady 10 miles from you. Hope rest & icing etc. allows Bernard to race ok after all.

Have a great time in London, Columba. Shame about the Manet, but I wouldn't want to wait ages in the cold either.

Keeping up the daily running with the shorter fill-in runs of a couple of miles. Now up to 116 for the month, and will go out with the club this evening. I don't think I'll be at all quick, as it has been a busy day of preparation for tomorrow's party. Cake is now iced and just about complete (allotment complete with icing cauliflowers, cabbages, leeks and a pumpkin!)

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Diana - think JJ's got a sweet toothimage