Options

ING NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2006

Comments

• Options
    Hey Charlotte - sorry to hear the news but want to encourange you to hang on in there. I ran NY in 2003 - my first marathon. I broke down witha knee problem and ITBS four weeks before the race and stopped running completely under physio's advice. I had never got beyond 15 miles in training (once) and had run 13 miles twice. For 4 weeks I did no running and the day before the marathon I jogged for 15 minutes. That was it. I really worried about things but my physio, who had also run the race, said that I would get round ok. Admittedly he said the last few miles would be tough (and they were) but I did it in 4.47 and I felt like a king when I crossed the line, and promptly burst into tears. When you line up in the pens, it suddenly strikes you that you have earned your right to be in the race because you have worked so hard and invested so much to just get to the starting line. The crowds, the bands, the scenery, the high-fives along the route ... it all distracts the mind and you suddenly find yourself in the midfdle of a race, with teh crowd whooping and hollerin' and going crazy cheering you on. Before you know it, you've done the five boroughs and your in central park. Woof! what a feeling! You will find reserves of strength that you never knew you had. You should take it easy now and certainly NOT do a 20 miler at the weekend. Rest, rest and rest again. Enjoy your pasta and drink your water and start to think about what it will be like when you cross that line. Visualisation is part of the key. Good luck (you won't need it!). All the best, El C.

• Options
    Rowan said ... "Cheers PUG if I wasn't so old I would whip your ass LOL".

Excellent - sounds like a challenge! How about you guys having a bit of a spread bet then? To be paid in beer tokens on sunday night?

El C :)
  • Options
    He'd kick my ass... I ain't having any of that lol...

Although... first man home get's the beers in on the Sunday? I reckon that's fair...

Pug
  • Options
    Pint of Brooklyn please, thank you!
  • Options
    how far are people runjning for there long run this week? was looking at 13-14miles
  • Options
    Mud splattered - not noticed any problems with the Phab vest. I was prepared to swap it for an old faithful t-shirt if there was any discomfort.

Planning on 17 this weekend, which sounds like a walk in the park after the 20s.

Just about to nip out for a 5.5 miler before going in to work.
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Not seen this thread for a few days and its gone red hot..is it all the free time weve got now the taper has begun lol.Pug and Rowan looking very chilled now -if you think you are old help!
    Sorry to hear about your troubles Coronium and Charlotte but dont worry all will be fine.
    Did my last long run 21.5 in 2.42 and pleased with that -didnt run out of fuel this time.Longest ten runs: 21.5,20.2,20,20,20,18,16 then 12,10.5,10.5.Nothing much in the middle now I look at the numbers. Maybe do 14-15 on Friday .
    El Capitain Ive only done FLM before but the buzz from that was amazing and the pull from the crowds was easily worth 15-20 secs per mile...I cant wait.
  • Options
    For my last long one this weekend I'll be doing 15-16 I think. After taking 2 Sunday off completely (3 and 4 Sundays ago) I am in need of another long one but another 20 would be too much this late in the day.

2Old - I think you're right about the taper. Too much time on our hands! This thread has gone crazy.
  • Options
    Ditto charlotte to all the wise advice above, let us know what you decided to do (or not to do, hopefully). It's not just the time on hands but the rapidly approaching event - focuses the mind wonderfully. Just 4 this morning, feeling a little stiff. On the dog front, as I have already said I run with mine, my issue is trying to avoid stepping in cow, sheep and horse dung - the joys of the country.
  • Options
    Pug - that was very kind of you offering to buy the first drink on Sunday evening!

Talking of drinks - is the idea of meeting at the Crowne Plaza on Sunday night working for people??

Lynne/Bagpuss - do you still want to meet up on Saturday? We could use the same strategy of meeting at the Crowne Plaza?

El C - you have just inspired me to go out and get that 5 miles done at lunchtime!!
  • Options
    Had a very good run at the Cardiff marathon on Sunday - 4:13 for a new PB by 3 mins. First time I have achieved a negative split (2:08 halfway) too. So slow starting seems to suit me.

But I have dropped my target from 3:59 to 4:10 (so I don't get tempted to go fast in the first half) but I will keep 4.00 in mind if I do get to 20 in time . . .

My taper is sorted as well - too knackered to think about running for a few days, then just a few recovery runs after that.

Hope those who are struggling abit now can try and stay optimistic - 3 weeks is a good long time to get over aches & injuries.

Predicted Times

Pugheaven 2.49.50
    Lee Cartmell 2:55
    Rowan 3.30
    2old 3.35
    Daisy D 3.38
    Mr and Mrs Coronium 3:45
    BEEP BEEP 2 3:50
    flying high 3.50
    cottonbud 3.55
    Shimlar 3:56
    Watty 3:58
    mud Splttered 3.58
    K.P. 3.59
    Mid Life Crises 3.59
    BOUNTY 3.59
    Bax 3:59:59
    ANDREW YATES 4:00
    Dooda 4.07
    SlowButFar 4:10
    catherine s 4:15
    El Capitan s 4.17
    sdtoot 4.25
    Stuart Barrow 4:30
    Lynne Sheppard 5.30
    Queenie 4.50
    Charlotte 5.30 (with luck and a less weird knee)
    Dubai Dave
    Glugg, going for a good time not a fast time
    flying high 5.0 if everything goes well
    bagpuss 6:30

Up For A Beer/Food Sunday Night

Pugheaven
    Mid Life Crisis
    Lynne S
    Charlotte (if she actually finishes on the sunday)
    Queenie - might be, depends on state of mind & legs
    K.P
    Watty (2 Can Dan:-/)
    El Capitan
    Rowan
    Bagpuss
    Stuart Barrow
    Bax
    Catherine S
    BOUNTY
  • Options
    Lee Cartmell

Well mate, and we're going similar time, I'm doing no more than 12 this Sunday... easy enough to knock a 12 out... that ain't going to take anything out of you...

35-40 miles this week going down to around 20-25 next week with 10 in the final week...

Catherine S "Talking of drinks - is the idea of meeting at the Crowne Plaza on Sunday night working for people??"

I think we've at least found a meeting point, quick beer etc and see where or what people want to do? What we reckon?

Pug
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. Dunno whether I'll be able to move on anywhere else once I get comfortable with a beer in front of me though!

• Options
    My taper is starting at NY - 14 days (although I think I have run my last ‘fast’ lunchtime session today - 7.8 miles in 48:30 with a 38:40 10k split). I'm not particularly looking forward to a period of reduced running.

All being well I will have done close to 1,400 miles for '06 when my taper begins.

Longest 10 runs = 174.5 miles
    Longest 5 runs = 100.4 miles
    Longest run = 22.0 miles

Charlotte - as everyone has said before, take it easy. We will all make it over the finish line.

SBF - Great run at Cardiff. Neg splits are the way to go.

A Rowan/Pug head to head - sounds good to me.
  • Options
    Hi all, thanks for all the adivce about my sore 'bits' (i'm still blushing). but doing ok.

Catherine, yes, meeting up saturday night at the crowne plaza sounds great. I'll make a RW Forum flag to stick on the table so we'll all know each other. Bit better than a carnation in the button hole scenaria. lol.

Still havnt got my charity vest. be running in my undies at this rate. On second thoughts better not, not a pretty sight.

Was going to do a long run on Friday, as working the weekend but just been invited to go to Thorpe Park, mmmm decisions decisions.
  • Options
    just had a look at the weather forcast for new york, temperature for next five days ranging from 17 to 24 degrees, sunny with a slight breeze.
  • Options
    Pugheaven do you want company. i tend to run very even splits and i would not mind going a little faster, jet lag pending
  • Options
    Good Evening,

Thanks everybody for your advice and encouragment. I was having a really bad day yesterday so I apologise for being utterly wrapped up in self pity.

I'm going to rest up from now until November and make sure my physio has a fab christmas with all the money she's getting from me - but she is great and I don't mind.

Bagpuss I'd love to run with you but I may hold you back lol!

Coronium - re dogs. The charvas who fish and take goodness knows what drugs along the Tyne not only have big mamma dogs that they can't control but one of the little charmers actually set his dog after me. Fortunatly the dog was as thick as it's owner and I dodged it. But it really shook me up. On the other hand I had a good experience with a dog a while ago. - I was running with a bottle of water and approached yet more charvas and a dog. I slowed down. The dog looks at me goes over to a bush and picks up a bottle in his mouth and starts running next to me. I speed up he speeds up. He then breaks off in front of me gets to a junction in the path way puts down his bottle and looks at me as though to say "I won" then goes back to his owner. Kept me chuckling for days.
  • Options
    Oh yeah meet up point sounds good to me!

Lynne go to Thorpe Park but don't get whip lash on the tea cups!

That's a whole other story. lol!!
  • Options
    There was a picture in the paper at the weekend of heavy snow in north New York state - maybe those dreams of freak weather cancelling the race weren't so way out!! Can you run in snow?

Sounds like we have the start of a plan for Sunday night - thanks for the offer of some Blue Peter cutting and pasting Lynne! Shall we say 7.00 at the Lobby Bar, Crowne Plaza, Times Square, New York.

Lynne - when do you want to meet on Saturday - there had been some talk of a Broadway show?
  • Options
    7.76 miles
    51:51 (6:40/mile)

First Mile in 7:35.

Last 6.76 Mile 44:24 (06:34)

At this point I was happy with this evening's run considering I'd done 20 on Sunday, until I seen coronium's awesome lunchtime Jog ROFL... man... nice run, that's great considering you wasn't in a race or anything... well done mate! Makes my run tonight with the club look crap lol...

Lee Cartmell
    Cheers for the offer mate, the thing is, it's me against the marathon and have a major point to prove to a few people and I'm always one for running on my own... feel pressured and don't run relaxed when I'm with people... much appreciated though and if we see each other on the course, I've got no probl;em sharing a few miles with ya mate.. especially if I'm hanging onto you LOL... just if I go out and run with someone... just won't run right ;-)

However, you are coming for beers aren't ya on the Sunday?

Im currently on 1487.2 miles Since 7th January 2006... here's my last 16 weeks of training for NY Marathon:

Week Ending

19 Jun, 2006 51.75
    26 Jun, 2006 61.05
    3 Jul, 2006 50.40
    10 Jul, 2006 50.70
    17 Jul, 2006 33.80
    24 Jul, 2006 64.78
    7 Aug, 2006 59.30
    14 Aug, 2006 53.59
    21 Aug, 2006 30.72
    28 Aug, 2006 51.60
    4 Sep, 2006 24.16
    11 Sep, 2006 50.95
    18 Sep, 2006 47.44
    25 Sep, 2006 29.60
    2 Oct, 2006 51.00
    9 Oct, 2006 67.17

778 miles in 16 weeks (48.6 miles per week avg). Most I've ever done in my life!!!

Pug
  • Options
    I'm Statisticus autisticus - as Ian Dury nearly said..

In light of Coro and Pugs numbers, I looked at mine and they tell a tale when seen alongside these two gentlemen, mine in brackets (ROFC)

Longest 10 runs = 174.5 miles (119.4)
    Longest 5 runs = 100.4 miles (75.48)
    Longest run = 22.0 miles (20.84)

Have done 347.65 so far since 1st June

19 Jun, 2006 51.75 (4.5)
    26 Jun, 2006 61.05 (23.00)
    3 Jul, 2006 50.40 (00.00)
    10 Jul, 2006 50.70 (16.15)
    17 Jul, 2006 33.80 (23.48)
    24 Jul, 2006 64.78 (22.87)
    31 Jul, 2006 ....? (8.00)
    7 Aug, 2006 59.30 (7.20)
    14 Aug, 2006 53.59 (22.60)
    21 Aug, 2006 30.72 (18.00)
    28 Aug, 2006 51.60 (10.00)
    4 Sep, 2006 24.16 (13.00)
    11 Sep, 2006 50.95 (14.15)
    18 Sep, 2006 47.44 (27.60)
    25 Sep, 2006 29.60 (16.44)
    2 Oct, 2006 51.00 (28.00)
    9 Oct, 2006 67.17 (41.86)
    16 Oct, 2006 ...? (45.57)

See what I mean? It gives me a real understanding of just how much work you fellows have put in, quite amazing. If my enthusiasm survives NY and I get a place in London, I think I may be leaving home to get that lot done..whether I like it or not. Oh well, one step at a time.

• Options
    Would love to come for bear put i am off to rangers vs sabers at 1730 then early ish night as flying back to auckland early monday.
    Good luck all
  • Options
    also got thinking about the miles i have put in. For running since start of year have done 1476miles(912 since 1st june). also done 2077 bike miles and 132157yards in the pool. It makes for a great relationship with family, Kids just know dad either biking or running, and will be home sometime. Not looking good through as starting ironman training again come 9th november!
    take care all
  • Options
    Ok so were going down the stats road

Miles Since 01st January 2113.
    Since June 01st 1,140 inclusive of one ultra and two marathons.

Doesn't mean I'll anything like as fast as Pug (3-30 to 3-45 is my range) its just means a) I'm daft b) I run ultras c) I like running!

Take care all and stay injury free!
  • Options
    Lynne & Catherine

I am definately still up for a show on Broadway if you are, although I was thinking around afternoon time for a matinee show, as this would prevent shopping!! and too much walking !!! and time for something to eat and an early night? what do you think? we could meet at the Crowne Plaza around 1ish as I think the Matinees start around 2pm I think.

Charlotte, glad to hear you are going to rest. You definately wont be holding me up, I promise! and if we do my run/walk thing it will be better for your knee too. Have I mentioned before that I have run a marathon doing the run/walk programme in 5 hours and 15 mins? although this time round I am looking at more 6hours 30 as I havent done the training. But it is acheivable and if we run together it would be great support for us both dont you think? also do you fancy joining Lynne, catherine and me for a Broadway show on the Saturday afternoon??

Bagpuss
    x
  • Options
    Hi all,

Crowne Plaza sounds fab I reckon and I want to see us all blingin with cheesy smiles and NYCM medals YEAY!!

CATHERINE!!
    Chin up hunny: when yer feeling glum have a look at your medals. look at the NYCM site, whilst yer resting itll make you realise why yer doing it.The adrenaline of it all will pull you thru..if not Ill give you a piggy if I see you.

PUG.
    I live in Mold.Small world indeed.Maybe when this is over we'll have to meet up for some running:-)

WATTY.
    Get them legs sorted dude..Youve got to bust that boody boooooyyyyy!!! Just got Lupe Fiasco and P.Diddy for the race.

Whilst Ive been away Ive done an 18miler in 3hr15. I was buzzin.
    Talkin of that Im havin my picture taken on the pitch at Goodison on Tuesday as part of my fundraisin for Everton in the Community.
    Im sooooo excited!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Managed to get back under 3.30 again at Cardiff on Sunday. I thought I'd lost the knack. Windy out at the bay wasn't it? but it was so nice not to be doing an event in 28 degrees for the first time in months. Thanks a bunch to the lads in the Campanile on Saturday night who came back at 3.00 in the morning, and ran around screaming and swearing till 5.00 in the morning. I could not think of a fitting revenge when I got up at 6.00. Any ideas?
    Put me down for sub 3.30 at NY. I've run out of inspiration to get faster. Has anyone tried running a really fast every-fourth mile, at sort of sprint pace? i.e. push yourself at mile 4, 8, 12, 16 and 24? OR, I'm at my best between mile 10 and 18. Should I push myself on these, and then risk being too tired from mile 20 onward.
    I just don't know where the extra speed can come from. Ideas?
  • Options
    Hi all

Sound like I may be the only one not staying in CP, Essex or Time Out. I was so late in booking so now can't get a room nearby.

Anybody else staying in another hotel?
  • Options
    JV21 - I'm staying the the Mansfield - still central (5th and something!!)

Bagpuss - saturday afternoon matinee sounds fab. What shall we do - get tickets before hand or try our luck with half price tickets at the tkts booth?

I have a new boss starting today - have to work out how to explain to him that currently running is taking priority to working and that I need long lunch breaks so as to avoid running in the dark (I live in East London - running in the dark ensures a short life!!)