Options

Newbies 2

Comments

• Options
    Ah Viz . . . . I was a big fan of the Fat Slags, and Roger Melly and his profanosaurus   image
  • Options

trumpet blowing well deserved CJ, well done!! Excellent timings!!  To sound dumb though, for the 2nd time in 2 days on here...whats a negative split?!

Well it took me the entire day but both pieces of furniture are built!! A nice cabinet for all my dvds and a lovely set of drawers to hold all my cds!!  Been moved into this flat for a year now and all my dvds were in 3 banana boxes with a load piled on top (im a bit of obsessed with buying dvds!) so it looks so lovely that they are all hidden away, its like a weights been lifted and my livingroom looks luverly!

Sounds like i better watch out for the leaves tomorrow then! cant decide on what distance to do tomorrow, been mapping out a few routes on fetcheveryone as motivation and want to do a bit of a time trial so i can see some improvement in a couple of months time hopefully.   Think i will go for a 5.5km route with a mammoth hill half way through! Not sure how much of it i will manage to run but going to take it slow and see how it goes, my PF hasnt played up again so fingers crossed!

How have the war wounds been CJ? Sounds like a good plan to swap a run for a swim! Glad to hear you can still go out and do 6miles though!

All this talk of ice baths are making me feel cold! Hows your leg today CB?

Sorry to hear your foots been sore Osa!  Yikes dont know how you can wear 4" heels all day!

• Options

Morning all!

I used to love Viz, I think 'Spoilt Brat' was my favourite character lol, he was so cruel to his Mum! 

CJ, for an ice bath I put just enough cold water in to cover my bad leg (which incidentally is not good at the moment image ) then, once I'm in, I get my GF to pour in 2 big bags of ice bought from the supermarket...   Great mile times there CJ, miles 3 and 4 are the most consistent, which, interestingly, are the fastest.  I reckon you could run the whole 6 miles at that pace, seeing as the faster you go the more consistent the miles are...  I'd say the excersie bike would be fine to get the miles in, you could watch telly whilst doing 50k lol!  So you're gonna do a tri then?  Yayyyyyy!

I must get some sort of CD/DVD holder, our house is over-run with the damn things...

• Options
    All of this Viz talk - I think that Finbar Saunders is more relevant to this forum! image
  • Options
    Finbar Saunders...the name rings a bell, but can't quite place him! I know the rest of it rhymed with 'Saunders' though. I used to like Biffa Bacon and sid the sexist. And the handy hints bit!
  • Options

Ah, it's just come to me...

...Finbar Saunders and his double entendres!

• Options

Morning folks

CJ excellent timing on the splits.  Wish I could get my head around training in splits.  Maybe this could be something I can look into further once got nike+ sorted. 

Just how many dvds do you own Nic?  Have not sucumbed to Zahanda yet

CB sorry to hear that your leg is not too good at the moment. 

Osa hope the run went well 

Well I didn't go for a run last night *keeps back against wall in case of backside kicking*image  have got really bad sinuses which are giving me a continually headache.  Been popping sudafed so hopefully that will help.  This is not good training for my race which is a week on Sunday.  I'm hoping I'll feel better on Friday so I can go for a run and if poss run on Sunday, even got a 10k route planned, which I'm really looking forward to if I'm up to it. 

So now I'm after advice on pre-race training.  How many runs should I do next week and should they be long or short. 

Can't believe how nervous I am, especially now that I've not been training as much as I should have.  Come next week I'll be looking for excuses not to enter image

• Options

Finbar Saunders and the Fat Slags for definite. Plus the top tips which always made me laugh, even more so when you see real toptips in some womens mags! i guess the nearest these days is Mrs Mills in the sunday times which always makes me giggle.

well done TTN on getting back into it. you will be flying soon!

so this morning i did the 5 miles (had to add in a slightly longer route home to make up to 5 miles exactly, amazing what the garmin does for you, i couldnt stop at 4.8 miles!). quite a hilly route, though felt easier than when done before and first time i've done that route without a walk. kept really steady and managed to keep HR in moderate zone almost all way so target achieved. 5 miles/1h1m/12.18minmiles/HR 157average. last long run before 10k on 23rd. some shorter runs to do and perhaps an interval session.

TTN a negative split is where you run faster for the second half than the first. it usually means you got the pace about right and didnt go out too fast. unless its way less for the second half, which shows you held back too much!

• Options
    x-post with you Jac! racing the same day as me i think. i would aim for last "long" run no less than a week before. then do some gentle shorter (2-3m?) runs. my last run will be thursday or friday, about that distance but pretty slow. if you havent done 10k by sunday then dont be tempted to try it, your legs wont have time to recover. dont worry if it feels really hard either, last time i found the 6m i did 10 days before the event and the 2mile 2 days before were terrible, but on race day it did go much better. just enjoy the atmosphere!
  • Options

Meglet thanks for this.  If sinuses clear will do 10k on Sunday then do a 2 - 3 mile on Tuesday and Thursday.   Where's your race

• Options

Leeds Abbey Dash

its quite popular as its a flat route, lots of PB chasers image. Me included, want a PB and under 70 mins. bit boring route though, out and back from Leeds centre to Kirkstall Abbey. looking forward to it now.

• Options

Afternoon all!

I had never heard of a negative split but must admit I always run like that, don't push myself for the first half then up my pace (if I can!) for the last half, this works particularly well on my new route as the last few miles are downhill so easier to pick the pace up.

I did enjoy my run last night, thanks Jac, but my heel, ankle & knee were all very sore, this pf is beyond pesky, after next Sunday am going to lay off the running for a few weeks & work on stretching it properly. It is so frustrating as I am enjoying my running so much since I changed my technique.

I think I will run on Saturday morning & next Wednesday Jac & then rest til Sunday, unfortunately I have a work night out next Thursday which I forgot about, timing is lousy as it will probably be a proper boozy night, oh well!

I am ashamed to say Nic, all our dvds & cds are still in boxes in the hall cupboard, we have to empty the entire cupboard every time we want to look for something it is a nightmare!

So much for my healthy eating week, had 3 packets of crisps for dinner last night, oops!

Love Osa xxx

• Options

Morning all,

So many posts yet again. It's so difficult to keep up with you all.

With regards to running with the wind, I'm always this way. I pity those behind me, but then there arn't that many at the moment. image

You wouldn't catch me having an ice bath. Has to be virtually boiling hot for me. There must be an easier way to get your leg better Colonel, although no doubts your GF enjoys the pouring of the ice in a wicked type of way!.image

CJ, great split times, and with an easy one at the beginning you look like you have your runs well sussed.

Went out myself this morning after taking the little uns to school. Last year we had a 5k race quite local to me, so I took that route. It took me 32 minutes 15 seconds, which i'm pretty pleased about. Done R13 W4 R13 W the rest. One of my goals is to get to under 30 minutes for a 5k so at the pace I am currently on then I might just do it when I achieve my other goal of running 30 minutes non stop. A double whamy so to speak! image

Has anyone any thoughts on breathing?. Yes I know it comes naturally to most of us! image

What I mean is, when running do you all keep a steady tempo, or do your inhales an exhales vary dependant on tiredness and or inclines etc? Just asking as it was something I was thinking about whilst out this morning. I tried to inhale, then  exhale, on each 4th step. Seemed to help me focus a little, that is until I got to the bridge, and it all went to pot! image

Happy days!

Darren

• Options

Jackie M  - I'm a fellow sinusitis sufferer, but what usually works for me (by a lot of trial and error) is a combinaation of Beconase nasal spray and (strangely, but cheaply) the Asda sinusitis tablets which are the best I've found for me - way above Sinutab

I agree with Darren, your gf must be revelling in the sadistic pleasure of chucking ice at you, CB - I know I would be!

As for breathing, I'm just grateful I can! Not yet in the position of getting a pattern in place

Osa - hope the pf goes soon - must be a real pain (oops, sorry!)

• Options

I try to do that too Darren, i try to breath in counting to two and then breath out counting to two, although it was all over the place today!!   I used to find it hard to concentrate on breathing it used to make me worse but practice makes perfect i suppose! Well done you really are making an amazng recovery!

I went out for a proper timed run and picked the route last night, i did 3.9miles in 54mins07sec, very slow but had to walk for 10mins at the start and 10mins at the end just to get across the very slidy and muddy playing field so was expecting to have been running more than i did.  Managed to tackle my huge monster hill by taking it in turns to run and walk between the lamposts which worked, although i was a right mess by the time i got to the top, puffing and panting!!

Sorry to hear about the sinuses Jac!  Hope they clear up in time for your race!

Thanks for explaining negative splits Meglet!!  It finally makes senseimage!  Didnt realise you were racing soon too!!  By the sounds of it you wont have much trouble getting that PB!

Well I think I own about 300 dvds so its so nice to have them all hidden away and my livingroom looks a bit more spacious!  Cant wait to get the banana boxes and old cd stand to the skip!  Must be a nightmare having to rake around for a dvd Osa! I must say ive watched less dvds since theyve been packed away as its a nightmare to look through them all!   Sounds like a little break from running might be a good plan to help with the pf, its definately helped me!  you shouldnt lose too much of your fitness either in a few weeks!

Can recommend the dorunning waterproof jacket if anyones looking for a cheap waterproof! It was only about £20 and kept me dry!

Ended up ordering one of those Buff's Osa and it arrived today, its SO cool and has a very pretty pattern!! Cant wait to try it out for keeping my lugs warm!  Would definately reccommend one!

Happy running everyone!!

• Options
    Smit thanks for this will try it out.

Darren I've also been thinking about my breathing and how inhaling and exhaling in a certain pattern may help. Never thought of timing it with my steps.

Hope the pf eases off for the race on Sunday.

Well visited the local authority gym this afternoon and will be booking an induction session for next week. My months membership will run from 1st december and after that the good news is I can go on a pay as you go basis which will cost me £3. This will be really good for me as I'm hoping I'll only need it when I can't get outside - result!

Right off to clear spare room and study ready for visitors at the weekend.

jac
  • Options

Osa your diet reminds me of current Kaiser Chiefs song. <singing>"what do you want for tea? I want crisps"

on breathing-yes i breath in for two steps and out for two. like to start the breath on my right footfall! but if going easier i do in2out3, or in3out3. good guide to how much effort i am putting in.

• Options

Or in Osa's case..

"what do you want for tea?" - "a pot noodle and a large glass of red!"

except that doesn't quite fit, does it..?

Who's running tonight then? I am, got an hour off work so I can get to t'club in time.image the weather isn't great, but not as bad as tuesday was, so I reckon we're looking at a steady 7 miles (gulp!) wish me luck, folks...

• Options

thats very organised with the breathing meglet!!

my dinner was almost going to be a bag of crisps too tonight but my friends just asked me out to tea...yay, 2 nights out to dinner in a row....think this is going to have a negative effect on my diet though eek!!

Good luck tonight Mick!!!  Enjoy your "steady" 7 miles!!

• Options

Hi peeps….

CJ  Cats are great end of story. Jimmy decided to fall in the Bath last night. He keeps walking around the edge but lost his footing last night, he wasn’t all that bothered either. I also remember Viz…how could I forget?

CB  No Tri’s… they are against the law in here!

Meg  Excellent…your run sounded great.. sounds like you enjoyed that one!

Osa  Great to hear your healthy eating is going from strength to strength?!

Darren  I’m with you on the ice bath situation. When running my breathing varies on pace and inclines etc but when on the flat at a relatively decent pace my breathing is steady but even when I’m pushing my breathing always comes back to normal very quickly when I ease up which is handy. I just breath when I need to…works for me!

Will be out over the weekend, leg feels good again. Lost a little interest though over the last couple of days?? What’s that all about?

Keep smilin’

A.J

• Options
    Osa I love that song and that line (pesky Mac pc doesn't have the quote option otherwise would have quoted you) At least your boozy night out is three days before the race so you should have enough time to recover!

AJ I had a cat that used to do that, she'd come into the bathroom whilst I was lazing in the bath sit on the toilet and watch me and then go for a walk around the edge of the bath. Unfortunately she miss judged the edge of the bath which was next to the wall and took a tumble, to say she wasn't pleased would be an understatement. Good to hear that the leg feels better and sympathise with the loss of interest

No running tonight but going to do my Davina body control dvd. DEFINITELY going for a run tomorrow, no honestly I am!

Dinner for me is roasted cod with braised peas and bacon possibly washed down with a glass of wine (helps with the sinuses don't you know)

• Options

Hey all you running mad folks!

Jackie, consider this as a kick up the a**e!   Get out and do that 10k!

Meglet, great news about your 5 miles, keep going!

So it seems there is someone who's injured more severely than me...  Keep your chin up Osa, I know how frustrating it can be.  I don't know about you but I just want to get out there and run. image

Daz, the way I breathe is, er, in when I need to and out when I need to. image  I don't actually think about my breathing, I just let nature takes its course, as it were.  You'll be under 30 mins for 5k before you know it.  Just remember, the more miles you do, the quicker you'll run, without even trying.

Good luck with the 7 miles Mick, I'm sure you'll breeze through it.

I can't believe how you've lost interest in running AJ, how can that happen?!!!image  And as for no tri's, you'll be on the start line with me next year - I bet!  image

So you'd all like to pour ice on me, hmmmph, I'll remember that - bad people.

• Options

my cat is a big softie. theres no point posting a pic as hes black, so he just looks like a black blob with eyes on photos. when i'm in the hot tub he likes to peer over the edge. think he must wonder why i'm having a bath in the garden! its great for sporting aches and pains though.

not sure how well this picture will come out. its my garmin trace from todays run. the green line is the elevation, showing hill, then plateau, then back down. the red is my HR, at highest while going up. the two sharp drops are where i had to wait to cross the road! the bands are the HR zones.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3290/3028081588_3064bbe142.jpg

• Options
    Smit thanks for this will try it out.

Darren I've also been thinking about my breathing and how inhaling and exhaling in a certain pattern may help. Never thought of timing it with my steps.

Hope the pf eases off for the race on Sunday.

Well visited the local authority gym this afternoon and will be booking an induction session for next week. My months membership will run from 1st december and after that the good news is I can go on a pay as you go basis which will cost me £3. This will be really good for me as I'm hoping I'll only need it when I can't get outside - result!

Right off to clear spare room and study ready for visitors at the weekend.

jac
  • Options
    Don't know why this posted again?!

meglet - hot tub! Your garmin graph looks good, it looks like your HR was pretty constant.
  • Options

CJBA - Those lap times look really good - well done!

Darren - Looks like you had a good run this morning - your 5K time is faster than my first race back in September!

TTN - Nice one on the 'buff' - I love mine - spent ages picking out a design - there's so much choice isn't there!

Mick - How was your 'steady' 7 miles this evening?

Meglet - Nice graph image.

Had a speed session this evening - run fast 3, walk 3 * 4 .  I went off at full pelt, thinking 3mins isn't long.....oh yes it is when you're running that speed!!   My max speed was 7:04min/mile, although have to admit, that probably only lasted a few seconds! 

• Options

Just been out for my 1 min run/1 min walk x 10 and got back just before it started raining. Will have a look at that dorunning top, TTN

Was at a meeting where lunch was laid on - the usual rolls, samosas, quiche and fried stuff. The only fruit in sight was the black cherry filling in the gateau. Not so good for the diet! Am making some nice healthy soup now to make up for all the rubbish I ate earlier

Took me twice as long to get home from Cambridge as it took me to get there this morning - the joys of the M25!

One of my cats walks round the edge of the spa in the garden, very unnerving while you're trying to relax

Will have to look out for the buffs too - although my Benny hat is fine at the moment

Jackie - wine DEFINITELY helps with the sinuses!

• Options

Ha meglet, your graph has just helped me out!! couldnt work out why there were all these sharp drops in my run and just realised it because i was stopping to cross the roadimage...cheers!!

Its really good smint, heres the link to it, was a bit sceptical as its only £19.99 but i think it would stand up to anything other than heavy rain but im not too keen to run in that anywayimage! Also had a bit of an unhealthy moment today! Started off so well, healthy breakfast and healthy lunch then last minute plan to meet friend for tea ended up with us both having cheese burgers with bacon, onion rings and bbq sauce and chips!!! I can barely move now!! Back on the diet tomorrow!  How are you finding the running programme?

I did the same Jac! So many nice designs i couldve bought a few! Infact still want to buy a few but i had ordered that running hat oops!

Meglet, very jealous of your hot tub!

Have you got your interest back again AJ? I found myself losing interested when i couldnt run, it will come back though, just wait til you get back running and you will soon get the interest back!

• Options

Aargh, just typed a message & it disappeared, how annoying!

Evening all, pay day today, so I have entered the Edinburgh BUPA 10k in May, yay! Then I ordered gluacosamine, remember the day I would have spent my wages on new clothes or a lippy & now it is health supplements for sore knees, will be subscribing to SAGA next!!

How did the run go Mick?, hopefully you aren't as tired as I was last night, being too tired to make a pot noodle is a new low for me! Was too late for the gym tonight (stuck in traffic) so had time to make an actual proper dinner, had a baked potato & mixed curried beans with creme fraiche & a sweetcorn salad!

Nic can you let me know where you got your band? It sounds good!

Glad to hear JJ wasn't too phased with his bath, I remember my brother decided to try & give our cat Smokey a bath in the sink when he was a kid, he still has the scars!!

Funily enough Meg, I always sing a long to that bit of the song when it comes on the radio!

Jac I am hoping I will be recovered by Sunday but for once I was wanting to have an alcohol free week prior to a race, oh well maybe in May!!! Am sure it will make the after race drink so much more enjoyable. After the 10k I ran in September I was a gibbering idiot after 1 pint & unconscious by about 8pm, I was a cheap date that night!

CB & Smint, thanks for the concern, have been stretching & rolling the damn heel all day so hope it will have eased before my next run.

Love Osa xxx

• Options

Hey Osa, heres the link to the website, ive linked it to the page with the buff that ive bought, its so pretty!  I checked out ebay and they are more expensive on there so worth buying straight from buff themselves!   Yay glad to hear that youve entered the edinburgh 10km!  Is glucosamine the cod liver oil for vegetarians?  i keep meaning to take that daily but always forget!

After race drink...we definately need one of those in May!!  There was something on here or in the mag about how a drink after a race can be a good thing aslong as the alcohol content isnt too high..pint of tennants it is then!! 

Nic x