Options

Sub-39 at the Stubbington 10k

Comments

• Options

Definitely get a couple of sports massages Squall, when i had tendinitis earlier in the year i had a few, if they didn't cost so much id have one every week now!

Yes Stevie G, he seemed to be improving with each one, I only did 3 of them with Maidenhead the best. They were the first 5k s that id done and had great fun trying to work out how to pace myself image. Really looking forward to them again next year and getting a bit closer to the front. (hopefully)! Did you run the Marlow Half last week?

• Options
    More physio today! Hopefully I'm on the mend and will be able to run again next week...
  • Options

Had some massage today... all good.

Physio said I can get back on the CV train with cycling, rowing and swimming as of tomorrow... as long as I promise to keep stretching! No running as yet though.. but I should be back on normal duties at work next week.

Hopefully running again by December!

• Options
    I'm wondering about switching to a less run-intensive programme after I make my recovery? Maybe something like FIRST? Just until after christmas...
  • Options

Hey Squal, sounds like positive news from the physio today... even if a bit of patience is still required!

I probably should know this but what's FIRST??

• Options
    Furman Institute Programme.... for running a Marathon (or other distances) on 3 runs a week... with 2-3 sessions of cross training and 1-2 optional weights sessions.
  • Options
    Be Careful Squall though FIRST is a bit more intense though. So you don't want to do any damage to yourself once your healed

Any reason for the change?
  • Options
    Squall88_uk wrote (see)
    Furman Institute Programme.... for running a Marathon (or other distances) on 3 runs a week... with 2-3 sessions of cross training and 1-2 optional weights sessions.
    Ah ok thanks Squal, should have put 2 and 2 together and figured this out myself! Have a friend who used Furman to train for FLM this year and it seemed to work well for her. Like Pammie says though, the sessions did sound very intense so maybe not sure if they're ideal when in recovery phase?
  • Options
    Squall - have you looked over your training diaries and managed to establish which workouts caused your problem?  Or was it a one-off?
  • Options

Worn-out footwear..... lack of stretching.

Those are my two main reasons I think.

You're right about it not being down to overtraining. I'm just scared of re-igniting it before its properly fixed itself. 

• Options
    When I eventually do start running again... anyone got any recommendations for mileage etc. to build myself back up?
  • Options
    U need to talk to hh again squall, he got me back on the road again basically started on 8 mins steady then a increase of 2 mins each run over 6 days and so on    it worked!
  • Options
    Yes I shall have to get him on the email! We haven't spoken in a while.
  • Options
    Physio this morning... then two session next week image
  • Options

Hope the physio session was productive this morning Squal.

How's everyone else's training going?

I've been mixing up the quality this week, easy run Monday, 8.5miles Fartlek Tuesday, 7mile steady Wednesday, 7miles last night with a good 25mins or so at tempo pace. Felt much better mixing a few easy runs in there and also feel like I'm getting more out of the quality sessions. Will get a long run in at the weekend with a few steady miles between now and then as well.

• Options
    Hopefully be back on the running in a couple of weeks...
  • Options
    Anyone run at Gosport this morning?
  • Options

More physio tomorrow.

Hopefully back running properly soon!

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Good one Squall and good that your mum had positive feedback on the Gosport Half!

Going to go for my first run in almost a week tonight. Only did a steady 10k last week and 9 miles in total the week before. A break will hopefully have done my shins good.

Hope the physio goes ok tomorrow!

• Options
    Hello everyone thought I would gate crash the thread, I will be doing the stubbington 10k too, it was my first time last year. I have just done the gosport half marathon but need to keep motivated now image
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Good luck with the training for that Zoe! Not gatecrashing the more the merrier and im sure Squall would say the same!image What did you think of the half marathon then? What training regime have you got up to the Stubbington 10k then?

I am sure I remember you now from the Gosport Club actually from a year or so back after you mentioned you ran for them in another thread? Just there is so many people that go, I am pretty sure from seeing your pic that I chatted to you once after one of the timetrails once! Small world if so! May be horribly wrong mind...anyhow time for me to pick the training up once again tonight think I will stick to the gym though it's difficult motivating yourself to train outdoors in this weather sometimes!

• Options

I have lots of tattoo's on my arms so that may jog your memory, I thought the half was great the furthest I had ever run was 11 miles so pleased to finish! have you read the feeback everyone seems to be really chuffed with the goodie bag. I have also left a message on the gosport road runners facebook page.

As for training I dont know what to do! I dont think I need to be going out and doing 11 mile runs at the moment. I need to work on speed, I normally just open my frontdoor and run, if I go for a short run I can do 8;30 to 9 minute miles. Longer runs noramally anything between 9 and 10 mins just to make sure I can get back! 

any advice gladly received, have to work around shifts being a nurse but dont mind running in the dark

• Options
    What about daily running?
  • Options

I dont think I have time?? if I do a late shift in the week I normally do a quick 3 or 2 mile on this day. I should now have more time on hands as I have just finished my degree whilst also working fulltime. I do get days off in the week as I work weekends so tend to do longer runs on my days off.

I think I need to change training for quicker times, I dont do any tempo runs.  I also have to take a drink with me at all times, I was in the army and left last year, years ago a PTI thought it would be funny to deny me water on an 8 mile endurance test, had heat injury and now have it in my head I have to take a drink!

my quickest times are

2 miles   16.34

3 miles    25.20

5.5 miles 50:00

10 miles    1.35.40

• Options

I personally found that when i stepped up to running almost every day (or every day where possible), I had a huge improvement in my running.

Namely I could run longer without it being a major problem, run the same paces with less effort and generally feel more comfortable. 

What about say 20 mins per day?

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Hi Zoe. Some good times there. Yes I think I do remember actually. I think I ran with you and a few others one time a year or so ago? I am sure one time we got the routes mixed up and were meant to do a shorter rather than a longer route? It'l hurt my head anymore if I think about it though hehe!

As for your training, being motivated is half of it and doing the training the other part! You certainly sound motivated! Speed training maybe once a week could be beneficial? So yes why not - do some intervals between lamposts or something down on Stokes Bay? I have got to be honest, I am still a novice in learning what training works best for me myself! lol. Taking a drink is very sensible though especially if you have learn't that from your own personal experience!  

As for the Stubbington 10k route...I have to admit it is one of my favourite races I have done to date (only did the new route last year and never did the route before that). I was down that way on the weekend actually at Hill Head at the height of that storm capturing it on video - it was crazy! Hopefully it won't be that bad come race day but it was pretty severe on the weekend!

• Options

I shall be going out today round stokes bay probably fro 5.5. miles, will be first run since half. I probably could manage 20 mins a day but I do like longer runs, I do keep a record of times, milage and what the weather was like and how I was feeling I find this helps me.

I think I need to also work on core stability,

I remember getting lost on a few runs with your club last year WJH, even though I have lived here for 7 years still not familiar with all the back roads.

• Options

The more frequently you run... the quicker your body learns to recover from running... ergo the more you can do overall.

I tried this from last summer onwards... and it led to a PB at Eastleigh back in March... and my times have got stronger ever since. 

I would say try and do SOMETHING every day... and run up to an hour on the days you can fit it in. 

Once i'd got my mileage consistently above 35 mpw and then 40... my times jumped down. 

• Options

Did some gym today... Deadlifts, pullups, bench press.

Christ, deadlifts don't half fuck you up when you have't done any in a while.