Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Johnny not sure where you're based? The Bramley 20 is a good one to do as part of your spring marathon training. I did it this year and really enjoyed it. Next one is Feb 17.

http://www.readingroadrunners.org/bramley.html

There's also the Spitfire 20 on March 3 which I may do as my last 20 before tapering.

http://www.eventstolive.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=28
  • Options
    Stray Runner wrote (see)
    This was the link jb73 - http://www.valleystriders.org.uk/calcmar1.htm

Took a bit of finding but is buried on pg403 Paris 2012 thread.

I now wish I had completed a degree in higher level maths

cheers

• Options
    Based in Dartford Tiddy. The one at the Top Gear track I'm going to be in Italy (should be fun working out a route to do there!), but the Bramley one looks like it'll fit into my training perfectly. Thanks, I think I may well book that up. Is the course flatish?
  • Options
    How annoying. Just realised where Bramley is...I have friends who lived in Silchester and then Burghfield for 20 years...would have been perfect...I guess Fleet is still close enough
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    SP13 wrote (see)

Maybe it's like the marital love dance - if you go too long without you get out of the rhythm. Should I do the equivalent of drinking a couple of glasses of wine and just get on with it? I mean... should I just pull myself together and get my running shoes on.

Yes, I think this explains it. Tonight I'm puttng on my Vibrams, hopping into bed, and Mrs D will find out just what minimalism is all about....!

Emmy - sorry about the ankle - skip this weeknd and get properly better. Doctors orders.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Blimey, I go away for a couple of days....you lot have been busy!

Kaz - how are you feeling?

Emmy - do you want to borrow my Attend Bell for while you're resting your ankle?

• Options

Yer_Maj - I was wondering where you were?? Been having fun??

I am 'ok'......still really washed out and now freezing cold all the time.........but that could just be the weather. Trying to phone doc for blood test results which is proving to be a quest harder than running the marathon on Sunday. Landlines are all down, mobile signal is shit.........short o walking there I will have a weekend wondering??image

• Options
    Dannie: that has made me laugh out loud!

SP13: I often say to myself, "sometimes the achievement is just getting out the door in my running gear".

So, It turns out that the medication that they gave me for the basilar migraines has a side effect of lowering athletic capability/performance/motivation. I really would have liked it if the neurologist had told me that before I'd spent weeks with no motivation to run...
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Yer_Maj - I was wondering where you were?? Been having fun??

No really - it's been a bit of a week!

Hmmm that's not good about the results, could anybody give you a lift to the GP so you don't have to spend the weekend wondering?

• Options
    Dannir: that has made me laugh out loud!

SP13: I often say to myself, "sometimes the achievement is just getting out the door in my running gear".

TD, Kaz and Emmy and all of the rest of you (especially those of you who have just run a marathon): TAKE IT EASY!

Review of basilar migraine business on Tuesday and it turns out that the medication that they gave me for the basilar migraines has a side effect of lowering athletic/sporting capability/performance/motivation. I really would have liked it if the neurologist had told me that before I'd spent weeks with no motivation to run...and some of the other chemicals they're feeding me are going to explain weightgain (not all of it but some of it). So what to do? Tell them to shove the meds, or end up looking like Michelin woman?
  • Options

Oh sorry yer_maj..........hope everything is ok?.

Maus - At least you have an answer although it would have been good to have been warned..........why do they never tell you things like that?? Or do they think it doesn't matter???

Docs???

• Options

Finally got throu.......results are back but doc no checked them yet, but gave them my mobile in the hope that they can get throu when he does get it done???image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Funeral of an old friend yesterday -  he was 38, has an 11 month old...brain tumour.  Absolutely brutal.  He was a total one off and I shall miss him for the rest of my days.

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    YM - I'm sorry. It is always so sad to lose a dear friend.

Kaz - patients should be told about medication side effects. Unfortunately many (or most ?) docs don't take the necessary time, and I think in some cases, they simply don't know. They know all the 'big' ones, but the lesser common or perceived lesser important ones they don't. In today's world, a simple app on your smartphone will give you all this info and I encourage everyone to use it themselves when prescribed something new. The doc has responsibility for sure, but so do each of us as patients.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

((Yer_maj)). Thank you for the offer...i'm going to lay with my leg up in the air relaxing! image

((Kaz)) - Could they send you an email? My doctor loves doing that for results.

Thank you for the wise words Daniirr and MM.

@Danirr - I'm not sure that's what she means by minimalistimage

• Options

Yer Maj - sorry to hear

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

yer_maj - Sorry to hear your news.

• Options
    James B 73 wrote (see)
    Stray Runner wrote (see)
    This was the link jb73 - http://www.valleystriders.org.uk/calcmar1.htm

Took a bit of finding but is buried on pg403 Paris 2012 thread.

I now wish I had completed a degree in higher level maths

cheers

I just read the first two lines

"The par time is 2 hours plus your age in minutes, plus another 10% if you are female. This will be achieved, after a year or so of effective training"

My target is 3:30! Does that mean I have the 'running age' of a 90 year old?!? image 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ward - it means you have the running age of a 90 year old woman...image

• Options

"Par weight for men is 2 lbs per inch of height minus 5 lbs"

Ok..... I'm just getting depressed now!! That means I should weigh 9 and a half stone!  If you put my bones in a bag, they'd weigh more than that!!!

• Options

Thanks yer_maj...... but actualy, as I finished just ahead of the winner of the F55 category at Cardiff, I recon I have the running age of a 55 year old woman image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Would you make nice stock, though?

• Options
    Very sad news about your friend Yer-maj.

Just back from a cycle. Got caught in a massive hail storm. My face has a nice rosy glow!

Ward6 - I would need a jet pack to run a marathon in 'par' time. And I need to cut back on the pies...
  • Options

The results are in...........and thankfully they are negative for diabetes but my anaemia is worse, a count of 7.8??? But he said something on the phone about iron not being absorbed??? Appointment for Monday..........I will be popular at work, requiring time off for personnal reasons after being on 10 days holiday!!!image

Yer_maj - Sorry to hear that. Hugs.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Ward 6 wrote (see)

"Par weight for men is 2 lbs per inch of height minus 5 lbs"

Ouch, that would mean my running weight should be 10.5 stone! My normal running weight is about 12.5!

• Options

What is this your all 'speaking' about ???

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - At least they should now be able to help you. Plus that's not time off for personnal reasons, that's health reasons.

Need to work out waht my par time would be. Pretty sure that will just depress me though!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Par time = 3:18!

Not a chance in hell.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Erm that means I should weigh 8 stone 6.  I didn't weigh that when I was born...image